No announcement yet.

New Jointer Alignment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike3206 - Some interesting points on feed pressure. Other examples and tips I have seen have all of the pressure on the infeed table, behind the cutters. It seems to me that keeping all of the pressure on the infeed would allow the piece to raise up when it touches the blades, then move around on the outfeed table. But, how would you keep pressure on the outfeed side for a long board? If feed pressure is that critical, it seems a bit odd to me that they don't make these with the ability to add featherboards.
    Yea, I read that as well, but most will always say to move pressure to the outfeed side once so much is passed through. If you keep the pressure on the infeed side, the board can wander after the blades, which is bad. Also, make sure you keep pressure against the fence as well. You cannot get a good joint if you allow the board to move one bit from the fence.

Long stock requires multiple passes if it is not close to begin with. Sometimes, I need to make 5 or 6 passes if doing rough stock. (I take off minimum) Also, when using longer stock, a longer infeed table is helpful as it helps the board sit correctly on the table and may actually cut down on the amount of times you need to feed the wood through.

Once you use the jointer a bit, you will figure out what it takes to get a board straight. I did three Walnut paenls last week for a table top. after I did them all, I put together on a table and saw that there was the smallest of gaps on the ends. Grabbed the boards and made sure I held the board in place where I wanted and they came out perfect with the little touch up.

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I tried everything suggested here, and more, and still was not seeing the results I would expect from a machine whose sole purpose is to make surfaces flat.

60 days after I purchased the Jointer, I returned it, and exchanged it for another new one. To Home Depot's credit, the Manager I dealt with was very accommodating, and I had no trouble with the exchange.

When I began to assemble the Jointer, I knew right away that the first one I had was defective. With the first one, I had to push and pull hard just to get the holes lined-up to put the stand together. With the new one, everything fit perfectly. The first one also had extra vibration that the new one does not.

With just a few adjustments over factory settings, I'm getting nice, flat cuts.

Thanks

Comment

That's great news Dbird, Mine too would have been perfect with some minor adjustments too had it not been for the cracked blade. never seen anything like it. if i could figure out how to upload pictures i would post a picture of it! it is pretty amazing which is why i kept it!

The JP6010 is a solid investment. I love mine. I just need to get the hang of the push blocks, very awkward for me for some reason. as i mentioned in a previous post i find myself using my hold down stick and table saw rip push stick when planing, and merely using my hands while jointing. just gonna take some time. got lots of scrap to practice on!
        \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
        X