X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good buy? Ryobi 9" Band Saw $70

Don't have one now, but have long planned on a 14-inch or larger band saw, unfortunately a few years away. Don't desparately need a band saw now, but would be handy. I came across the factory reconditioned/full warranty BS-903 for $70 plus sales tax at a Direct Tools Outlet/TTI Factory Outlet store. The price seems better than anything on the web, or any other brand or deal. I haven't found many reviews, but those that I have don't seem bad. It obviously is small and has limitations, but I can live withing those limitations and certain I can get $70 (plus the cost of a better blade) worth of use out of it until I can afford a real BS.

Anyone have any horror stories, disagree with my logic, agree with it, etc.?

Many thanks, RJ

Re: Good buy? Ryobi 9" Band Saw $70

I have found the 9 inch models hard to keep "tuned". Seem like you always adjusting the thing. I have not used the newest Ryobi, but I didn't see anything that made me think it's any better.

I purchased the 10" craftsman a few weeks ago on sale for 139. I liked the looks of the guides better and the over fit and finish. I hope it's a good machine, but I have a lot more wood to finish before I can allow myself to pull it out of the box and tell everone how it works.

Comment

I had a Ryobi BS900 for close to 3 years. With a decent blade it'd cut fine within it's capacity limitations, but it had a bit of vibration. I think I'd see if I could find a sale on one of the Rikon made 10" Craftsman saws with the cast iron table. The 9" Ryobi is better than nothing, and $70 isn't terrible but it's not likely to knock your socks off either.

Comment

I have a BS903, I got it for $80, during last years April power tool promotion (spend $150, get 20% off). I mostly used it to cut 1" cedar for Adirondack chairs and it did fine, much easier than a jig saw. If you're not expecting too much from it, it will serve you OK. I would buy it again for up to $100.

Of note is that doesn't come with a fence like earlier versions of the same tool.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the input. On tuning, that is definitely something I'm worried about - setting and maintaining alignments. I'm figuring that into its "limitations."

RJ

Comment

I think the fences were not included on all BS901's...mine didn't come with one and the person that gave it to me swore the only thing they forgot to include was the mitre gauge.

$70 seems like a good deal on this level of saw. It's great for those that want a bandsaw but can't fit a full sized. Get a new blade though, it makes a big difference.

I am looking for a compatible fence. Ryobi no longer makes my BS901's.

Comment

I've had a BS-902 for about three years and I really like it. No problems, no vibration either! I bought this unit as a "learning tool", figuring that I'd eventually move up to a bigger/better 14-inch some day. That hasn't happend yet and for my present needs, the little BS-902 has served me well. So certainly, a "903" for $70 would be well worth the price.

Regarding the fence, one was supplied with my BS-902 and it is my understanding that the "903" does not have one. But, I rarely use the supplied fence on my 903. The simple fact of the matter is that a "fence" on a bandsaw is not particularly critical to it's function. All band saws have a tendency to show some degree of "drift" caused by the tooth set, and/or some other factor of a particular blade's characteristics.

With bigger and better band saws, the fence is adjustable to allow the user to align the fence to a blade's "drift" characteristics. Also, different types of fences may be necessary for particular types of cuts. For example a simple edge point (single guide point spaced next to the blade) may be the advantage for resawing, while a longer fence may serve to act as a measuring point for doing short crosscuts [like cutting dowel stock to precise lengths). Bottom line, a bandsaw "fence" is not used in the same context as with a table saw.

So, in many cases, a bandsaw fence is often a simple shop-made jig of sorts. If you pick up a bandsaw book at the library or nearest book store, I'm sure you will find some suggestions.

Bottom line.... $70 for the Ryobi BS-903 is money well spent. Likewise the "twice the price" Rikon look-a-like that wears the Craftsman name is also a good saw for the money. While made with steel and iron (as apposed to aluminum and plastic like Ryobi), the long-term durability of such materials may be justified. But that said, the actual useability of either saw should be about the same, which makes the Ryobi BS903 a much better buy, IMHO.

I hope this helps,

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 03-26-2009, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan224 View Post
                I have found the 9 inch models hard to keep "tuned". Seem like you always adjusting the thing. I have not used the newest Ryobi, but I didn't see anything that made me think it's any better.

I purchased the 10" craftsman a few weeks ago on sale for 139. I liked the looks of the guides better and the over fit and finish. I hope it's a good machine, but I have a lot more wood to finish before I can allow myself to pull it out of the box and tell everone how it works.
                I bought the newest(I guess) Ryobi 9" band saw. It stays tuned fine. It does not vibrate or wander at all. The only problem I had was when I tried to rip on a 4x4. I could not use Dado's on my illustrious 10" $99.00 table saw so I made a bunch of cross cuts and tried to rip em out with the band saw. The 4x4's would not quite make it(too high). I swiped both sides of the 4x4's on my Delta belt/dick sander, a few swipes is all it took to make em thin enough to use the band saw. After a year of use the table saw has at least 3/16" end play in the arbor shaft wich of course is the motor shaft. I got a hunk of aluminum angle iron and used it for a fence on the BS. That worked.

Had I had the R4511 it would have been a heck of a lot easier. Does Dado's with no sweat, accurate too.

Buck

Comment

I had the Ryobi 10" almost identical and the body is too soft to keep tention properly.

I gave the saw as I was to shy to ask money for it.
                  Stay away from it

Comment

Working...
                  X