ts 3650 motor issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ts 3650 motor issue

i was making some cabinets today and ran into an issue. I tilted the blade to cut a bevel and what looks like oil began leaking from the motor. the saw now will only run at about half speed. any ts3650 wizards out there that can help? thanks

rjherald

Re: ts 3650 motor issue

figured it out. from the deep recess of whats left of my mind(58 now) i remembered something about motors needing startup capacitors. sure enough, the junk i was seeing was dielectric from one of the caps on the motor. off to an electric motor repair shop tomorrow to effect repair. should be cheaper than the $700 for a replacement motor

rjherald

Comment

Rjherald, if this is any consolation to you, I am 67, and I still have a few "deep recesses" left. Thanks for the motor comments. I have a new 3660, and if I ever get the problem, I will call on a "deep recess" and remember a cause for the problem.
      "non illegitimis carborundum"

Comment

Where do you come up with $700 price tag for a replacement motor?

That is the price of a complete saw, or is that what you were referring to.

How old is the TS?

Did you contact RIDGID to see what/if it is covered under warranty?
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

rj...how old is your 3650? your motor sounds like a warranty issue. why on earth would you pay to repair a motor ridgid will replace for free?
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
            rj...how old is your 3650? your motor sounds like a warranty issue. why on earth would you pay to repair a motor ridgid will replace for free?
            It would seem we think alike. You just need to type faster.

Comment

A) If it is a bad capacitor(s) and you want to get one(or both) and replace it/both on your own, that should not cost that much.
              It shouldn't cost more than $30 for both of them.

B) Where on earth did you get the $700 for just a replacement motor?
              Last edited by Woussko; 03-24-2009, 11:08 PM.

Comment

first off thanks for the replies....

i bought the saw in 2002 so i believe no warranty

the $700(actually $648) was from ridgidparts.com. thought it was a little pricey myself.

cost $20 to get it fixed

ps
                if i am wrong about the warranty thing, please let me know

rjherald

Comment

Originally posted by rjherald View Post
                  first off thanks for the replies....

i bought the saw in 2002 so i believe no warranty

the $700(actually $648) was from ridgidparts.com. thought it was a little pricey myself.

cost $20 to get it fixed

ps
                  if i am wrong about the warranty thing, please let me know

rjherald
                  You're saying RIDGID quoted you $700 for a replacement motor? Did that include coming to you or picking up the saw or some other labor intensive activity because I don't see how this could be.

You can easily replace the motor for much less, and with a good Baldor or Emerson Made in the USA motor to boot.

Comment

I had to look this up for myself. It’s $648.29. Does this mean that when I purchased my TS for $550 that they gave me everything that surrounds the motor for free? Heck, I even saved $98.29 on the motor itself. I’m feeling pretty good about my purchase right now. I may just go buy another one.

That website is horrible. Some of the links dead end and the pages load with errors.

Comment

Ever price a replacement engine (whole - service replacement) or transmission for your car or light truck through the dealer parts department?

The "Little Carbage Can" car which you can buy complete and ready to drive may cast say $8,000 new, but if you bought it in parts and assembled it yourself you would soon find that $100,000 can't buy you all of it. It's how it can be sold new for $8,000. When it comes time to replace parts it's HAPPY SKREWS TO YOU time.

With that said it would be more cost effective to actually upgrade the motor on the Ridgid table saw, but to get it from a distributor of electric motors and not as a replacement part. I bet a really nice Baldor 2 HP top quality motor, rather than imported and over rated 1-1/2 HP can be had for under 1/2 the price of the exact replacement which NONE of us really need or want.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 03-25-2009, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X