X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Filtration?

I am looking to purchase an air filtration unit for my home shop. I have researched: Delta, Jet, Powermatic and Laguna. I would like feed back on which ones are tried and true. Thanks

Re: Air Filtration?

All of the units you mentioned are tried and true. I happen to have the Jet AFS100B and am very happy with its performance for my circumstances. The dimensions of your shop will determine the size and possibly the number of air filtration units you'll need.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have the JET AFS 400 and I'm satisfied with it. I have a small 11 x 16 basement shop, so compact size and noise level were particularly important to me.

Comment

My shop is about 600 SQFT. I've read quite a few reviews that say the Jet is noticably louder than the Delta. What's your thoughts?

Comment

Not a clue which is quieter as I have never heard a Delta running. I will say that even at its highest speed setting my Jet isn't as loud as most of the tools in my shop. I would consider the noise level to be a non issue as far as small air filtration units are concerned.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have the Delta 50-875 and do not find it overly loud. However I do not normally run it at its highest speed, I usually use the lowest or the middle speed. My shop is ~600 also (24'x24').

I find the remote handy as I can not reach mine, it is hung from the ceiling. I guess the others have a remote too.

I think it's pretty close to the Jet in specs:

Motor: 1/5 HP, 1,025 RPM, 120V, 1 Phase, 60 Hz
            Max. CFM: 540, 730, 1200 CFM
            Filter Cycle: 20' x 20' x 8' room, 10, 14, 22 times/hour
            Standard Bag Filtration: Outer Filter: 5 micron electrostatic filter
            Inner filter: 1 micron
            Length: 30 "
            Width: 24 "
            Height: 12 "
            Weight: 50 lbs
            Shipping Weight: 55 lbs

5 Yr Warranty
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have a JDS; I have had it for some time. I purchased it in during the pre-remote era. I have had no issues with it, just keeps on running.

tgomez

Comment

Info on JET models - http://woodworking.jettools.com/Prod...612&cat=333182

Comment

Until now I had never thought about air filtration in the shop. I've recently become interested in dust collection but see that you all are talking about something quite different. I am assuming that dust collection is phase one and air filtration comes later.

Comment

Originally posted by E Fisher View Post
                    Until now I had never thought about air filtration in the shop. I've recently become interested in dust collection but see that you all are talking about something quite different. I am assuming that dust collection is phase one and air filtration comes later.
                    You are correct. Dust collection should be your first priority. Get the majority of the dust and chips at the source. For your dust collect to really be effective, however, you need a good filter at the collection point. So invest in a good quality, super fine filter (e.g. HEPA) in your vacuum; or a 1 micron or less filter bag/canister if you have a full sized dust unit.

For the finest stuff, you can wear reasonably priced dust masks to help deal it. I wore the $2-$3 jobbies that did a fair job for the last couple years, but recently upgraded to a very nice dust mask from LV, and an air cleaner (my asthma was starting to act up for the first time in 15 years...).

An air cleaner is great at getting that super fine stuff out of the air. But an air cleaner could NEVER keep up with a shop that had no dust collection.

Comment

Working...
                    X