• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lathe purchase

I am looking to buy a lathe soon.
    does anyone have any suggestions
    on brand and size.
    please don't break the bank.

What kind of turning do you plan on doing?
    The Ridgid lathe is a tube bed, and is very limited. But it's tail stock has awesome grip.
    If your looking to put out about 800 bucks, the Jet has been reviewed lately in a couple mags and has gotten editor choice.

I do mostly small turnings, no bowls or vases, so the Ridgid suits me just fine.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Although I don't have a lathe, a number of posts on other forums have recommended this HF as a good beginning tool. It's similar in construction to both Jet & Delta, but of course at a much lower price. Your "don't break the bank" didn't indicate where you were coming from, but this can be picked up now using the usual codes for $245 delivered. It also goes on sale every 3-4 months for below $200.
      It has a solid cast bed which, from other posts, is one of the critical must-haves if you're going to remain satisfied with it after the initial honeymoon phase.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706

David

[ 03-13-2003, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Cutbuff ]

Comment

Have you done any turning before? It can be quite addictive, and it makes a great tool for small projects in between larger ones (pens, bowls, etc.).

I have the Ridgid and have been looking at upgrading to a Delta or other mid-sized machine.

Try to be honest with yourself about how much you will use it and what your performance expectations are before spending the money.

Comment

Last year, I had an immediate requirement for turning several long spindles (6 inch diameter X 6 foot length). Never letting an opportunity for a new toy go by, I started looking at lathes that could handle long spindles. Lots of them for megabucks. Settled on the Grizzly 1067. IMHO, the best bang for the buck. A little underpowered, but sufficient.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...Z&site=grizzly

Had it delivered to a machine shop buddy of mine with a forklift. Took it home, set it up, and turned the columns.

Like somebody said, it becomes addictive. Since then, every log, branch, scrap cutoff, etc... becomes my latest "turning". Can't say that any are museum quality, but SWMBO likes them.

Next comes videos, club memberships, new chisels, Tormek (don't ask), magazine subscriptions. Be careful. Think before you leap into turning. Snap out of it!! I'm telling you for your own good.

xman
          It\'s all in the name: Bucheron (FR)= woodchopper

Comment

Working...
          X