X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1hp dust collector enough for garage?

I am currently using a ridgid shop vac with w/ a Thien cyclone for dust control. I would like to step up to a little nicer unit and have been eyeing this unit at harbor freight.

Do you think this would be efficient for a 4" system running 1 machine at a time? The run would be about 20' long between the router, mitre saw, and table saw. I would be using the Thien cyclone with this as well.

Re: 1hp dust collector enough for garage?

I have learned to buy the best tool I can afford, as I will only complain once, as apposed to buying a tool that might do the job while the price screams buy me. Having said that like you I was using a shop vac connected to a cyclone and I thought it worked well. I got tired of either tripping over the hose or how much space the unit was taking up. I did some online comparisons and bought a 1 1/2 horsepower Delta 50-760. I am happy with this systems performance. The unit you are looking at from HF might very well be a contender, however I suggest you check all options. Knowledge is power.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard$ View Post
      I have learned to buy the best tool I can afford, as I will only complain once, as apposed to buying a tool that might do the job while the price screams buy me.
      It depends on what I'm going to use it for. In my HT room I buy the best I can afford, the same with most of my tools. I'm not a professional wood worker and my shop vac is sufficing for now, but I wouldn't mind upgrading. I really don't want to spend any more than I have to in this area however.

Knowledge is power.
      Hence me posting on here and asking.

Comment

Nobody want to spend more than they have to for anything I think.

A good DC is as much about safety as it is convenience. Less dust in the air is easier on your lungs so you can enjoy that HT longer. It also helps keep dust down in your shop which is a plus when it comes time to apply finishes. The lowest price point is not the place to start at for a DC.

My opinion is the unit you are looking at will loose too much efficiency in a 20 foot run. What type of ducting did you plan on using? Maybe the least expensive you can which would probably be some spiral flex hose? Too much loss in that irregular interior surface which will kill your flow rates (CFM) and static pressure.

Generally speaking, your inexpensive shop vac works because it is high suction/low volume, a dust collector works with high volume/low suction. The shorter hose lengths and high vacuum are what is pulling the dust through the cyclone for you. To have a DC that could match the suction (>20" vacuum) of your shop-vac would put you in the $1000 range for a DC, and then you'd be lucky to see better than 15".

I say figure on spending at least $250.

A quick search sows I'm not far off, here's a sale at Woodcraft for a Steel City DC for $299 !
        http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=20305

Harbor Freight 1HP Mini DC $99
        Perfect for the shop, work site or garage. This 12 gallon compact unit is as powerful as many stationary collectors.

Filters particles down to 35 microns (half the width of a human hair)
        914 CFM
        4" inlet/outlet
        120V, 6.8 amps, 750 watts; 1 HP; Overall dimensions: 13-1/4'' L x 12'' W x 12'' H
        Shipping weight: 21-1/2 lbs.
        ----------------

Steel City Model 65200 $299 until 3/31/09
        1-1/2 HP, 115/230V TEFC induction motor is totally enclosed, fan cooled and permanently lubricated for long lasting use and dependability
        Backed by an “industry first” five year comprehensive factory warranty
        1200 CFM for maximum efficiency
        Industrial push button safety switch offers increased visibility for additional operator safety and is designed for years of trouble free service
        Precision spin-balanced steel impeller: curved for optimum air velocity, noise reduction and protection to minimize wear.
        Heavy duty construction base mounted on four swivel casters provides excellent maneuverability and total portability from machine to machine or storing out of the way
        Includes: washable 1 micron filter bag, lower plastic replacement bags, 4” x 6' collection hose, 2 intake port caps, and 2 bag clamps and user manual with parts breakdown
        Specifications:
        Dimensions: 83" H, 27" W, 37" L
        Dual intakes
        4” hose diameter
        87 dB
        Footprint: 20" x 33"

Dust Collection Info

Duct Incorporated Products Bill's Cyclone Dust Collection Research - Home Page Static and PVC for wooddust collection Oneida Air Systems Homepage Wynn Environmental- Industrial Air Pollution Control, Aercology Filters, HEPA filters, Torit Filters, and Cartridges. Dust Collectors A killer health hazard! Penn State Industries - Your Wood Turning and Dust Collection Source Bill's Cyclone Dust Collection Research - Home Page (2)
        Last edited by Bob D.; 03-23-2009, 07:01 PM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob, thank you. I will look at budgeting a little more. What are some things to look for as far as cfm/vacuum etc?

Thanks

Comment

I have a Delta 50-850A which is 1200 CFM @ 11.4" H2O (this drops significantly after 20 or so feet of pipe and a few bends). I get good performance I think in my 24'x24' shop from this DC. I have it set in a corner and the trunk line runs down the center of the shop, branching off to each machine using long radius fittings or two 45s in place of less expensive short radius 90s which would restrict flow. For another dollar or two per fitting I will go with performance and have one less beer or two. One thing that helps I think is the pleated filter vice a filter bag. More surface area so exhaust air flows out of the DC better. Plus its very easy to clean, just spin the handle on the top of the filter a couple times and its good to go.

To get an idea look at this list of Delta Dust Collectors and look over the specs. Even a 5HP DC has a static pressure of 10.5". Look at the way down at the bottom of the list and you will see something roughly equal to the HF model you are looking at, they don't even list a pressure value for this thing, just the CFM which is 500 for the AP300.
            http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...4274.4318.4330

Follow some of the links I provided and read. Then form an opinion on your new found knowledge.

Delta has a nice library with a number of articles and videos on their site. While it surely features
            their products the principles will apply to similar tools from others.
            http://www.deltaportercable.com/Libr...eoLibrary.aspx
            Look down through the list and find the video on Dust Collection.

I know I have plugged a number of Delta products in a couple posts this evening, but I have no
            connection to Delta/Porter Cable other than having bought some of their products which after
            evaluation I found to be the best for my needs. And most of those are tools that RIDGID does
            not make or didn't at the time.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 03-23-2009, 08:01 PM.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

this is the HF dust collector you want to get

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97869

its usually on sale for around $170 and if you use the 20% coupon thats floating around its a heck of a deal

this collector is the one that everyone likes. do a search on google for "harbor freight dust collector" and youll get a ton of info on it

the one you posted originally has a universal motor and is VERY loud

Comment

That red DC you have shown has a universal motor, which means it will be at least as loud if not louder than your shopvac. It also will not take the use of letting it run for long periods of time. If money is an issue, HF has another portable 1 HP DC that looks similar but is green. It also has an induction motor. It is not as powerful as the bigger unit, but it does work well for one machine hookup. I have this particular DC and have been pretty happy with it, although I only use it with my table saw and router table. The bag that comes with it is not the greatest, but I have not switched it out yet. All that to say, if you want a cheaper unit for 1 mahine at a time, the smaller green machine works well.

Comment

Originally posted by mike gager View Post
                  this is the HF dust collector you want to get

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97869

its usually on sale for around $170 and if you use the 20% coupon thats floating around its a heck of a deal

this collector is the one that everyone likes. do a search on google for "harbor freight dust collector" and youll get a ton of info on it

the one you posted originally has a universal motor and is VERY loud
                  Thanks for all the replies. Mike, I had been eyeing that one but really wanted to keep the budget under 200.00. Not so much for being all I can afford, but all I can justify for the limited use that it will get. After I finish my theater bar area, my woodworking will really slow down, especially come this summer when I spend most of my waking time bass hunting. If that one goes on sale regularly I will keep my eyes peeled and snag it then.

Comment

whatever you buy, one of these will greatly reduce wear and tear on your filter and/or impellor while keeping most of the debris out of either a shopvac or DC

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

i built one on a five gal pail last week and it works amazigly well. planning one now for my delta ap400 DC.
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                      whatever you buy, one of these will greatly reduce wear and tear on your filter and/or impellor while keeping most of the debris out of either a shopvac or DC

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

i built one on a five gal pail last week and it works amazigly well. planning one now for my delta ap400 DC.
                      Yup, I have one as indicated in my original post. Saves clogging the filter in the shop vac every five minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by fastlane View Post
                        Thanks for all the replies. Mike, I had been eyeing that one but really wanted to keep the budget under 200.00. Not so much for being all I can afford, but all I can justify for the limited use that it will get. After I finish my theater bar area, my woodworking will really slow down, especially come this summer when I spend most of my waking time bass hunting. If that one goes on sale regularly I will keep my eyes peeled and snag it then.
                        Get set up on the Harbor Freight mail / email list. I got one of those on sale I guess a month ago now... It was on sale for $170.00 and I got a 20% off any one item coupon which brought the price down to $144.00.

You will want to improve the filtration of the bag though, these ship with a 5 micron bag. Highland Woodworking sells a 1 micron bag for $29.99. That gets you to less than $170.00 (not including S&H or taxes) for a 2HP dust collector with 1 micron filter bag...

If you want better air flow / filtration, save up and add the Wynn 35A pleated filter. http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm if you get the spun bond poly, with shipping at least to my zone, got me for $175.00.

I haven't seen ANY other dust collector with anywhere near a 2HP motor and 1 micron cartridge filter for a total of $319.00!

Comment

Originally posted by dbhost View Post
                          Get set up on the Harbor Freight mail / email list. I got one of those on sale I guess a month ago now... It was on sale for $170.00 and I got a 20% off any one item coupon which brought the price down to $144.00.

You will want to improve the filtration of the bag though, these ship with a 5 micron bag. Highland Woodworking sells a 1 micron bag for $29.99. That gets you to less than $170.00 (not including S&H or taxes) for a 2HP dust collector with 1 micron filter bag...

If you want better air flow / filtration, save up and add the Wynn 35A pleated filter. http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm if you get the spun bond poly, with shipping at least to my zone, got me for $175.00.

I haven't seen ANY other dust collector with anywhere near a 2HP motor and 1 micron cartridge filter for a total of $319.00!
                          Thanks. I'm signed up for email promo's. I wish there was one near me as I could use the 20% off coupon floating around on the net. I'll just have to wait for them to go on sale online.

Comment

dbhost...is this the 1 micron bag u mentioned?

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=2182

does it mount easily to a delta ap400?
                            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                              dbhost...is this the 1 micron bag u mentioned?

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=2182

does it mount easily to a delta ap400?
                              Yeah, that's the bag...

No clue if it fits the Delta. Measure your bag and double check. If you need a longer size than 34", Lee Valley sells I think 48" bags.. But those are monsterously long for a LOT of DCs...

Comment

Working...
                              X