Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm almost embarrased to ask this question! :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm almost embarrased to ask this question!

I've got mine on the left. I usually work on the left side of the saw (my fence on the longer side), and want it close to me.

For rabbets I usually work on the right side. Not quite sure why, maybe the table seems psycologicaly bigger that way, because I've got the fence rails?

Comment

Ditto what BHD said, and as for the switch, I now have it mounted on the left. I originally mounted it on the right, but found that when I ran into problems (i. e. binding on the blade, wood closing up onto the splitter, etc, I was invariably ripping a long thick board, and had to get down and reach under the wood to shut down the saw before I corrected the problem. Not good in an emergency. With shorter pieces, it also meant I usually had to move across the kick-back zone to reach the switch.

I have found the switch on the left easier and more convenient to use, especially because I can hit it quickly without removing my dominant hand from the wood or pushblock. It took a little getting used to at first, though.

Go
      Last edited by Gofor; 03-27-2009, 03:16 PM.
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

It's a good question. I'm in agreement with everyone else, I find that I rip with the fence on the right and use the miter on the left.

What was not mentioned, and I would like to add is what side of the blade a sled is used on. Be it a cross cut jig or panel sled the side of the blade is dependent on the tilt. On the rigid TS3650 my sleds and specific table saw jigs are on the left side of the saw. The reason for this is due to the arbor of the saw. With a left tilt blade the saw blades are added and secured with a nut on the right side of the arbor. This means with different blade thicknesses and even using dado blades the sled cut side is dead on the left side of the blade. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
        X