Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm almost embarrased to ask this question! :)

What side of the blade do you folks cut from on your table saw and does it matter?
    I'm talking about square cuts, not cuts where the blade is set at a bevel.
    I've always cut on the right side but in most videos and pictures I see people cutting on the left side. The saw I have now has a router insert on the right side so it offers extra support for larger stock.
    Does it really matter what side you cut from or is it just a matter of preference?
    Thanks for reading my post and any responses you care to leave!!
    Michael

Re: I'm almost embarrased to ask this question!

I cut on the right side of the blade because I have a left tilt saw - 3650.

Welcome to the forum.

Tom

Comment

Mostly when making 90° cuts I crosscut on the LH side of the blade and rip on the RH side.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I found that cutting with the front of the blade works best for me,

it is preference and ease, and some what if your right or left handed, I put the fence on the right side of the blade unless there is some thing special I am doing, and usually use the miter gage on the left side of the blade, but at times I use the right slot, all depends on the process and the length of lumber and what I am wanting to do. but I do think it does cut best from the front of the blade,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          I found that cutting with the front of the blade works best for me,

it is preference and ease, and some what if your right or left handed, I put the fence on the right side of the blade unless there is some thing special I am doing, and usually use the miter gage on the left side of the blade, but at times I use the right slot, all depends on the process and the length of lumber and what I am wanting to do. but I do think it does cut best from the front of the blade,
          One in every crowd, thanks for the laugh!
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I prefer to cut 90 degree cuts from left side of the blade only because I am right eye dominant. I find it is easier for me to line up my cut with my dominant ojo.

tgomez

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              Mostly when making 90° cuts I crosscut on the LH side of the blade and rip on the RH side.
              Same here. The rip fence pretty much lives on the right side of the blade. Miter gauge/cross-cut sled lives on the left side.

Comment

Since the rip capacity is far greater on the right, it makes sense to use the right side for the majority of rip cuts. No problem if you need 12 1/2 inches, it's there.

For cross cuts, I find it easier with the miter gauge on the left, but that's because I am a novice with this big scary machine, and I am right handed/eyed.

One thing that's occurred to me though is that when building the saw, there was an option to fit the switch on either the left or the right. I can't imagine making a crosscut, holding the workpiece against the gauge on the left, and being entirely comfortable turning the saw off on the right (being right handed).

Comment

I also rip to the right, and crosscut to the left.

The switch on my Craftsman was on the right, so I don't think I would have been uncomfortable with it there as I'd be somewhat used to it, but on my new 3660 I mounted it to the left....pretty much as far as it will go.

Comment

fence is on right hand side, miter gauge is on left hand slot

Comment

I think this is one of the best questions I've yet seen asked! It's a real insight for a newbie like me to see how you all setup for your cuts.

Thank you for asking!
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                        I think this is one of the best questions I've yet seen asked! It's a real insight for a newbie like me to see how you all setup for your cuts.

Thank you for asking!
                        NEWBIE? Come on Sandy, you aint no newbie no more. LOL
                        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thanks, PapaDan, but I still feel like a newbie compared to you all!! I'm always learning something and I really thank you all for your help in improving how I do things.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

We all learn something every day, unless we forgot to get out of bed that day!

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post

Thank you for asking!
                              Yeah, that leads me to wonder where everyone has mounted their power switch, and why?

I'm still trying to find the optimal location. I've got mine on the right, because I *thought* it would be easiest to reach, etc, but I find I often can't see it because the fence blocks my view, and fidget around before I find it... possibly moving it to the left might be a better choice? I'm right hander, for reference.

--Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X