The best jointer to buy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best jointer to buy

I would like some opinions on which jointer is the best out there. Features, capacities, rabbit cutting, etc. I will most likely be using it for some furniture making around the house, not commercial.

That's really not an easy ? to answer. What's your price range? What's your space limitations? I have the grey Rigid 6". Good jointer. If I had the room/$$ I'd have an 8"-12" long bed PM.
    Support Our Troops!
    www.mnpatriotguard.org
    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Ditto

Comment

I have this one and it is great. All the adjustments were right on right out of the box.
        http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...Number=G1182HW
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I looked at the Ridgid (orange) and the grizzily Lorax pointed out. I didn't know if there were better ones out there or if these were any good?

Comment

Haven't heard any complaints on the Grizz jointer. Are there better ones? Yes. But again it's a matter of what you want. Out of the Rigid/Grizz, today I'd go with the Grizz.
            Support Our Troops!
            www.mnpatriotguard.org
            www.patriotguard.org

Comment

I'm open to anything if I really think it would be worth the purchase. Why do I need a 6", 8", or bigger? A longer table is obviously for longer stock. What is a wise purchase for just making desks, end tables, or even an entertainment center type project? I also looked at craftsman. I didn't think much about it, because I thought it might be on the lower end of the spectrum.

Comment

If you must cut rabbits , I recommend a kitchen knife. Personally, I wouldn't bother. They're not very tasty.

Comment

The wider jointers aloow you to flaten the face of wider stock. My 6" limits me to stock less than 6" wide.

As to the longer bed. Support. To flatten the face of a board you mush support it to avoid tapering the stock. The longer the bed, the better. Also goes the same for doing edges.
                  Support Our Troops!
                  www.mnpatriotguard.org
                  www.patriotguard.org

Comment

In addition to increased capacity, an 8" jointer is heavier with more HP. The extra mass makes the machine more stable, so even smaller boards are a bit safer. It'll also have a bit less vibration.

The Griz, Sunhill, Bridgewood and Jet 6" are all made in the same factory. The Ridgid looks very similar on the top end, but the base is different....all good solid machines. The Delta JT360 and Craftsman have the same top, but different bases and different HP (Delta - 3/4hp, the others = 1hp)....both of these machines suffer from a fence support mechanism that isn't as robust as what's on the other five, but both can work. Delta makes another version of the 6" which is much better and costs about $200 more. Yorkcraft makes a clone of that Delta for around $300 that is said to be very good. The disadvantage of both of these machines is the extra space tha the rack and pinion fence support takes up. (The YC is available only through Wilke Machinery that I know of)

The real key to any jointer working well is flat surfaces, and coplaner tables. Get the one that suits your needs.

Comment

which ever one you buy, be careful lifting it. I dropped a Rigid on my foot at work this morning and now have two broken toes to show for it.
                      Jeff

Comment

I saw a shop fox in a magazine today, any comments on there stuff or that jointer? The W1679 model. Don't see a price though? Looks good on the page though. It resembles the Grizz G0526.

Comment

Shop Fox and Grizzly are related companies....owned by the same guy. Chances are good that the basic machines are the same, and that the bases, switches, and some features are different. SF also has dealers and a longer warranty. That stem mounted on/off switch on the SF looks convenient, but could get in the way in a small shop....I sometimes use my jointer fence as an extension support for the TS.

Comment

Working...
                          X