Router for router table?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router for router table?

My next project is to replace my kitchen cabinets with cherry raised panel cabinets. I'm building a router table and was wondering what you guys were using for a router to spin 3-1/2" raised panel bits. I've looked at the triton 3.25hp plunge router which was designed to work in a table, but it is very bulky and I would like to use the router as a hand held also. Not sure if the 2.25hp routers are up to the task of spinning a horizontal raised panel bit. I've got about 30 raised panels to make.

millman

Re: Router for router table?

well i have the ridgid r2930 2.25 hp and it does a fine job . it comes with 2 bases,solid and plunge. i have used it on several projects like u speak of. works fine for me!

Comment

I would go with your first instinct and put the higher HP router in your table and leave it there. For hand held jobs I'd get another smaller and lighter router. If you weren't planning on doing all those raised panels a 2¼ HP router would do most jobs but I think you'll be glad you have that extra power when you make those panels.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Two separate routers are best, because you want the power in the table to spin those big bits....a decent "2-1/4" will suffice for a few if you take light passes, but a 15 amp 3hp router will have much easier time of it. Then get a nice small 9-13 amp router for handuse that feels comfortable to you.

ReconditionedSales.com could save you enough to buy two.

Comment

For router table use, I don't think you can go wrong with the Triton product. In my opinion the best bang for the buck on the market.
          Last edited by tomapple; 03-25-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I would definitely go with as much hp as you can (3.25 -> 3.5) to spin those panel raising bits...

I would also choose a model with easy to access variable speed control.

You also may find the router table very handy and decide to invest in a router raiser of some sort... In that case I would be looking at routers like Milwaukee's 5625 or Porter Cable's 7518 as they will fit most brands of router raisers straight out of the box

Good luck with your project
            Last edited by jbergstrom; 03-25-2009, 07:11 PM.
            Cheers! - Jim
            -------------
            All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Actually Jim the Triton 3.25 hp router I looked at is designed to work in a table. The plunge spring can be removed and the height adjustments, both coarse and fine are made using the router's adjustment knobs. The router will also raise the collet up above the table so that you can change the bit from above the table. I think I'm going to go with the Triton.

millman

Comment

I use a Milwaukee 5625. It spins my Freud 3 ½” raised panel bit with ease as it chews through 3/4” white oak. I’ve never used one but I heard that the Triton is a very good router also.

Couple of things that were important to me when deciding on which router to buy included the ability to adjust bit height from above the table and a higher horsepower to minimize the strain placed on the motor thus minimizing wear and tear and (hopefully) allowing for greater motor life.

A router lift would be a very nice addition but can be a bit on the expensive side especially if you just spent $250 - $350 on a new router. Somehow, I need to convince the wife that this is just another one of life's necessities. Unfortunately, I think she is catching on to my line of BS.

Comment

Originally posted by krich View Post
                  Somehow, I need to convince the wife that this is just another one of life's necessities. Unfortunately, I think she is catching on to my line of BS.
                  Here's my tip for you:
                  Don't talk it as a 'necessity'. That's too true/false, on/off, black/white.

Instead, what you are buying is not the router lift. What you are buying is efficiency.

Faster projects = more time with wife/kids/mistress/pets/friends/whatever.

For what it's worth, I got a Woodpecker Quick Lift about a year ago, or so. And it cut the setup time for any operation down to about 30 seconds, from 3-4 minutes previously. I use a small herd of DeWalt 618's, and it had to be removed to change bits, then fiddling with the base ring to adjust height, then fiddle fiddle more..

IMO, the only thing better than a router lift is another router table. Got that for Christmas from the wife.

Comment

Originally posted by millman View Post
                    Actually Jim the Triton 3.25 hp router I looked at is designed to work in a table. The plunge spring can be removed and the height adjustments, both coarse and fine are made using the router's adjustment knobs. The router will also raise the collet up above the table so that you can change the bit from above the table. I think I'm going to go with the Triton.

millman
                    Right on

The Triton's have a good reputation and you''ll have the handy plunge feature for mortises etc. in addition to a powerful unit to use in your router table...

A dual purpose router is great

The only reason I mentioned the other models and router lifts is because once you start using your router table and realize how handy it is you may just leave the router installed in it.... If that ever becomes the case then the useful features and convenience of a router lift is a nice thing to have.

The model I linked to is like the Cadillac of lifts but there are many cheaper models that work very well too...

Good luck with your project and have fun with your new router table
                    Cheers! - Jim
                    -------------
                    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                      Here's my tip for you:
                      Don't talk it as a 'necessity'. That's too true/false, on/off, black/white.

Instead, what you are buying is not the router lift. What you are buying is efficiency.

That's the way you do it.... A true master, well put...

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                      For what it's worth, I got a Woodpecker Quick Lift about a year ago, or so. And it cut the setup time for any operation down to about 30 seconds, from 3-4 minutes previously. I use a small herd of DeWalt 618's, and it had to be removed to change bits, then fiddling with the base ring to adjust height, then fiddle fiddle more..

IMO, the only thing better than a router lift is another router table. Got that for Christmas from the wife.
                      What a great wife!

Before I got a lift (MastRlift) a couple of years ago I used a Freud FT2200EP in my router table and it worked well... I do agree with you on faster setup times with the lift though...

I went with a Milwaukee 5625 for the lift which freed up my plunge router. Another little gem I picked up was a Bosch Colt VS palm router that I find handy for all kinds of applications.

Routers... you can never have too many...
                      Last edited by jbergstrom; 03-26-2009, 01:11 AM.
                      Cheers! - Jim
                      -------------

Comment

I have the 2.25 HP Triton in my table all of the time. It is a great machine, smooth powerful and very quiet. The above table bit changes are really handy and it costs quite a bit less than using a lift your regular hand router. I must say that I have never used it handheld, I have several other routers for that.

Comment

Another alternative is to make raised panels with a "vertical raised panel router bit". Their claim is a perfect raised panel with a lower HP router. Here's one link I just found: http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...pnlbitrvu.html.

Comment

yea, Just tell your wife that your mistress will love the extra time you can spend with her.

Comment

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...el-TRC001.aspx

I went ahead and bought this one. I haven't made any sawdust with it yet, but it looks like a heck of a router for the asking price. Definitely my dedicated table router.

Comment

Working...
                              X