TS3660 Spacer Bar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3660 Spacer Bar

Just put it together and realized I had an extra part, the spacer bar.

What is the purpose of this space bar?
    Is it necessary?
    Does it interfere with a router table?

Thanks

Re: TS3660 Spacer Bar

I don't use the spacer bar as I have a router table top mounted. Yes, it would probably get in the way of a router table mounted to the rails (can't think of any case where it wouldn't get in the way but people can come up with some creative things so...).

Kirk

Comment

The spacer bar is there to help keep the rails parallel on the right side. It's job is to insure the rails stay in line all the way to the end. There's a lot of open space on the right side (if you don't have a router table), and the bar keeps the rails from warping in or out in that open space. If you have a router table mounted in that open space, you no longer need that bar as the table itself will keep the rails in line.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
        .......... If you have a router table mounted in that open space, you no longer need that bar as the table itself will keep the rails in line.
        I agree with Sandy however if you make your own router table you need to ensure it's front to back dimension is exactly that of the RH wing.

I think that I would still use the spacer if possible but install it at the very end of the rails, under the table. That would only allow you to only have a router table that is ¾" thick which could be a problem. Or, you could route out a channel on the underside of the table for the spacer to fit into.
        Last edited by BadgerDave; 03-25-2009, 10:58 AM.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

i noticed on my saw just recently that after taking the bar out and putting in a router table that when i clamp the fence when its in a far distance from the blade the rails flex inward. definetly not good!

im in the process of removing the outer from my saw and giving it a new home and plan on putting the spacer bar back in

so if you have a table saw mounted router make sure you add extra support between the rails

Comment

Thanks for the great feedback.

Comment

If you add a router table, you should consider incorporating the spacer bar into your design. You can use it both for stability and to prevent fence flexing, and also for outward support of the router table itself.

Comment

Working...
              X