X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3612

Well I found a TS3612 open-box, no rails. HD reduced it 30% from $469.00. I got it home and started to assemble and found it was also missing Herc-u-lift. Went back to HD where they found a Herc-u-lift that had been returned, to give to me.
    Now I'm in the process of trying to get the rails from the Ridgid parts supplier.
    Ordered TS3612 rails and mounting hardware received a set of rails a week later for a TS24242 for a $110.00. Called parts back and was told send the rails back for a refund, and that the TS3612 rails would be on back order for up to 45 days.
    Reading this Forum you would think it would be very obvious to any business person to what the problems with Ridgid and HD are. You begin to wonder who is running things?, Anyone?
    I still have faith in Ridgid tools, if not a little clouded. Just purchased a Ridgid scroll saw on Ebay.

Run away !!! Run Away !!!!! Jeesh, they gotta hit ya in the head with a stick ?????
    <a href=\"http://www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop</a><br /><br />I can fix anything......where\'s the duct tape ?? :-)

Comment

I've yet to hear of them even having 3612 rails at the parts department----everyone has said they're 2424 rails. From all I've heard, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for those rails. IMHO---either see if they turned up at HD (their inventory system stinks) or get an aftermarket fence system.
      Dave

Comment

The rails are in a separate box. You have to find someone at HD's tool corral who actually works regularly in the tool corral. He will probably know where the box is.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

don't feel bad CrossXGrain. I almost made the same mistake. i was as happy as could be with my new ts in the checkout line when my wife, whom i love so dearly, noticed the lable that said "box 1 of 2".

Comment

Would you all agree to go aftermarket for the fence and rails, or try to match TS3650 rails, if they match, to the TS3612 fence I have. I have tried locating the TS3612 rails at the HD stores here( Colorado Springs Co.,we have three HD's, with another opening this month), no luck. OR just return the saw, and go for a TS3650. Just as a note: There is a TS3612 with the rear rail, no front rail or fence at Pueblo Co. store. Thanks to all for your help.

Comment

As others have stated, you'll be hard pushed to get 3612 rails & fence from Ridgid. They were only supplying the 2424 set up until recently. Since it's HD who misplaced/lost the rails & fence, why should Ridgid provide them to you FOC?

Looks as though aftermarket fence and rails are called for. If so, why bother with all this hassle?? Just get the 3650 which is going to cost the same as a 3612 + aftermarket parts anyway!

Don't like the 3650 after 45-60 days, just take that back as well and buy a Delta or Jet!

JMO
              David

Comment

Didn't BrandMan(I think) say awhile ago that the fence and rails on the 3650 were the same as on the 3612? I had about 2 minutes yesterday with a 3650 and they sure looked identical to me except for the lockdown lever. If they're the same, it doesn't make any sense that people can't get them. Is it that TTI doesn't want to provide these parts cause they didn't make the 3612 or is HD yanking everyones chain?
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Brandman sure did say the 3650 rails and fence where the same as the 3612. Makes the hunting a little easier. Rick

Comment

Have to disagree with my counterpart Dave (Cutbuff). If you got the 3612 cheap enough, put a Biesmeyer on it (about $269) and you'll have an unbeatable saw. All steel construction and dead on accurate. But, also, while I may be patical to the old design, I've looked at the 3650 and wasn't impressed---not an Emerson motor---very thin casting on the wings----Have had a Biesemeyer on my old Craftsman for 12 years and never regretted the money spent.
                    Dave

Comment

Just got finished mounting a set of 3650 rails onto my 2424 which was sold to me as a 3612. The 3650's fit sweet & all appears to be really dead on even for a floor model. Simmilar situation for me but the guys @ HD are going WAY out of there way to get me a 3650 fence & rail set.

Comment

That's great that you can now get a set of 3612/3650 rails and fence. Wasn't ever listed before by Ridgid, only the 2424 sets.

I believe that for hobbyist woodworkers the 3612/3650 rail and fence set is superior to the Biesimeier design, either original or cloned.

My statement said for the hobbyist. ie. the guy who uses his TS for 3-4 hours/week? versus the pro-shop at 8 hours/day, 6 days/week.

There is absolutely zero fore/back movement on my fence. I can set to within 1/64" and clamp down without any lateral movement. With front and rear clamping the fence does not move laterally or horizontally, regardless of the forces applied. With the T-slot on the fence I am able to permanently mount a 6" high auxiliary fence, to which I can clamp Featherboards, without any fear of the fence rising up due to horizontal pressure.

No, for hobbyist use, the Ridgid aluminium extrusion design takes a lot of beating, but not by Bies!!

The new 3650 has solid wings whose thickness is the same as the cast iron table. The webbed wings needed to be thicker to compensate for the lack of material in between the webs!

The 3650 is an improved product over the 3612. I personally like the 5-6 feature improvements, especially the T-miter slots and solid wings with the unique clamping holes.

David

[ 10-18-2003, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Cutbuff ]

Comment

Well David---disagree both on the Biesemeyer and the new wings/top, but that's what makes the world go round. And, my point on the Biese' was if you can't get the actual fence/rails for the 3612 or 2424, rather than pay what Ridgid charges for the replacement 2424 set---the little extra will get you an excellent fence----the Biesemeyer Home Shop version, which I've used for 12 years, as a hobbiest.
                          Dave

Comment

12 years ago, or even when Bill Bies developed his fence, most fences out there were poor. Hence the uptake by users and manufacturers of his design. And for cabinet/woodworking shops, schools and manufacturing environments the solidness of the Bies 3 point clamping system and the heavy duty steel rails and fence is ideal.

But it's less easy to adjust to 1/32" or 1/64" than the Ridgid, and unlike the Ridgid can move at the rear when lateral force is applied, and can lift from the table at the rear when featherboards are used as hold downs.

The Bies will not go out of adjustment in a heavy duty workshop as easily as the Ridgid, and that is its primary claim to fame. Just like the muscle cars of the same era, it's big and beefy! But for the home shop the smooth running, precise adjustment, and firm lock down of the new Ridgid 3612 design takes some beatin', and not in this case by the Bies.

Take a look at the rails revised extrusion form on the 3612/3650 over prior models. There's a reason that was changed.

David

Comment

I have to admit the 3612 fence seems very sturdy. Before I bought the saw I had read reviews where the fence quality was called into question. After using it for a while, I just can't see how it can be better? It glides really smoothly on the rails, locks down and stays in place, has slots to attach jigs, etc. I'm somewhat new to woodworking, but have looked at a lot of table saws before I bought. I just didn't see where Delta, General, etc had better fences in the price range I was looking.

Comment

Working...
                              X