TP1300 Feed slippage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TP1300 Feed slippage

I recently purchased, assembled, and put into use the TP1300. Tried it out on small (3/4") pine, maple and oak. No problems and wonderful results. But, when planing larger stock, the lumber stops moving through the planer. This happened while planing 100 yr old 2" thick 8" wide 7' long red oak boards (heavy stuff). I had to slowly push then pull the boards through the planer. Feed rollers left marks on the surface. Only taking off 1/32" each pass. Feed rollers are clean (still new). Doesn't seem to be enough pressure to move the bigger boards through.

Anyone else had this problem? Any adjustemnts to be made? Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!
    Vince in NW NC

Have you heavily waxed the platen that the wood rides on? I usually make the first cuts very shallow, about .25 mm (about .01").
    The rollers will have more grip on a smooth surface.
    You might also try moving the cutter head assembly up off the boards and try manually moving them through the machine to see how much friction you have, then adjusting in/out feed tables to minimize.

[ 11-04-2002, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: WaMan ]

Comment

Thanks for the reply WAMAN. I have not waxed the platen. Initial impression was that it was quite slick and smooth. I'll try the wax and see if the planer will pull the wood through.
      Also, I'll lighten the depth of cut to your suggested depth of .01". The planer motor sounded like it was not under too much strain so I guessed that 1/32" (about .03") was light enough.
      Thanks again for the suggestions and I'll post again if I still have problems.
      Vince in NW NC

Comment

Nccigar,

As WaMan said, wax that main table with a paste wax and polish it off real good. This will make a hugh difference when planning those heavy pieces of stock. Also make sure you a supporting the piece on the infeed and outfeed sides.

BTW: Those lines you see on you stock where the board stopped are not roller marks but knife marks.

Jake

Comment

Jake,

I planed a couple more of the large oak boards over the weekend. Seemed to slip less [img]smile.gif[/img] , especially with lighter depth of cut (guessing between .001 and .002 inch). I assumed the rollers left the marks because the marks are black. A friend experienced the same slippage with his Makita 12" that also had composite feed rollers. His was so bad that he had to push and pull with a great amount of force! He has sinced "moved up" to a 15" Delta floor model with knurled steel infeed roller. Of course no slippage with that setup.

BTW: I noticed that the depth adjustment wheel now has a lot of "slop" in it . Even when locked, if the wheel is positioned with the orange handle anywhere except the bottom, it will rotate downward as much as 1/4 turn. When this occurs the depth of cut is not being adjusted. Is this normal? Didn't notice it the first few times I used the machine.

Thanks for the reply, I have enjoyed this forum and am finding it very useful. Such a nice asset to have and speaks well for your line of products.
          Vince in NW NC

Comment

A 1/4 turn is not excessive. As long as you are not seeing a change while you are planing, you machine is fine

Jake

Comment

Working...
            X