Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4330 Dust Collection port, 4 inch adapter

Hello folks,

I'm a Ridgid fan and have several of their woodworking tools. The only headache I have with any of them is dust collection. The 4" adapter on the R4330 won't stay put, so methinks I'll try to glue it in (I'll never use the 2 1/2" anyway). Since I can't seem to find out what material that (and the dust hood itself) are made of, I'm considering trying ABS cement. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Re: R4330 Dust Collection port, 4 inch adapter

Just an idea...

You could wrap the male part with a few wraps of masking tape till you get a good friction fit between the parts....

That way you could remove the adapter if you ever chose to...
    Last edited by jbergstrom; 03-28-2009, 07:27 PM.
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by danparkcityut View Post
      Hello folks,

I'm a Ridgid fan and have several of their woodworking tools. The only headache I have with any of them is dust collection. The 4" adapter on the R4330 won't stay put, so methinks I'll try to glue it in (I'll never use the 2 1/2" anyway). Since I can't seem to find out what material that (and the dust hood itself) are made of, I'm considering trying ABS cement. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
      I have the R4330 and don't understand your question. My 4" hose or 4' quick coupler just slides onto the dust hood,,, no problem. The "adapter" that came with the tool is used to reduce the 4" port to a 2 1/2" so if your not using 2 1/2" dust collection, just don't install the adapter.
      Or did I read your post wrong,,, I've been known to do that once in awhile.
      Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

Hi Jim, thanks for your input. I'll try that and get back with the results later today.

RCP, I'd not have to bother, but have found no way to couple the 4" directly. I'm thinking if the R4330 4" dust port were configured with the male fitting, I'd have no problem... but it is not. I'm using the Rockler Dust Right system because I have all my bench mount tools on wheels and often "switch out" one tool or another to one of the dust drops or another. The only way I've gotten a connection on the R4330 is to use the reducer, a 2" Ferco, and a 2" male to 4" male. I'm thinking it is me who is missing something

Now that you have my attention, maybe I should ask the obvious question... How should I make that connection?

Thanks again folks,

Dan

Comment

Just a note... The actual OD of the Ridgid reducer is 3 7/8" (and it is slightly conical, not cylindrical), which is what is really causing me so much trouble.

Meanwhile, Jim's idea seems to have helped, though it might be a while in use before I know for sure...

Thanks again,

Dan

Comment

And a picture :

Attachment
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by danparkcityut View Post
              Hi Jim, thanks for your input. I'll try that and get back with the results later today.

RCP, I'd not have to bother, but have found no way to couple the 4" directly. I'm thinking if the R4330 4" dust port were configured with the male fitting, I'd have no problem... but it is not. I'm using the Rockler Dust Right system because I have all my bench mount tools on wheels and often "switch out" one tool or another to one of the dust drops or another. The only way I've gotten a connection on the R4330 is to use the reducer, a 2" Ferco, and a 2" male to 4" male. I'm thinking it is me who is missing something

Now that you have my attention, maybe I should ask the obvious question... How should I make that connection?

Thanks again folks,

Dan
              This http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...&n=228013&s=hi is what I use. The one end fits into the 4" hose and the other end fits over the dust port on the R4330.
              Unless Rockler, in their infinite wisdom, has added yet another diameter to the list of non-standard sizes, I think this would work. BTW, the design of the R4330 dust port is to allow the collection hose to fit OVER the port, not into it. If I read your posts right, it sounds like you are trying to put your fittings into, instead of over.
              Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

BTW, the design of the R4330 dust port is to allow the collection hose to fit OVER the port, not into it. If I read your posts right, it sounds like you are trying to put your fittings into, instead of over.
                DOH!!!!

Attachment

What can I say? I'm just getting that old. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...

Thanks guys!

Dan
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X