X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Hinges

I'm planning on installing European hinges on cabinet doors that I have made. I see there are hinge kits that come with a Forstner bit and jig that you can buy. Has anyone used a router to drill the hole and made their own jig? Thanks.

Re: European Hinges

I never have but it would seem you could fashion a simple jig from a piece of hardboard or plywood and use a bushing in a plunge router. Cut a hole sized for you router bit and bushing to yield the correct size hole for the hinge. Add a fence to slide up next to the door edge and clamp the jig in place. Then plunge the router down and swirl around to router the hole out.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Re: European Hinges

I have done it both way. Before getting the special metric bit, I did a couple with my plunge router free hand (without a template). I just marked the wood with a pencil and did it slowly. You cannot tell which hinge is done with the router because the hinge metal cup cover it all.

LM

Comment

Working...
      X