No announcement yet.

Link belt on TS's?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link belt on TS's?

I installed a link belt on my TS after it developed a vibration. Problem solved/incredibly smooth (also have WW2+stabilizer).

Couple of questions:
    1- Does the link belt produce more resistance?

2- Why doesn't Ridgid make this type belt OEM? Can't be but a few cents differnce in cost.

rotsa ruck & bee safe

Rodney J in TX

I'm really surprised that you found that big of a difference between the link belt and the polly-v belt we use currently. The poly-v belts have signifigantly less vibration than the standard v-belts and last much long than even the link belts.

BTW did you install new pullies?

On a TS2424? Like Jake, I'd be surprised to see any difference at all, other than the link belt being a lot noisier.

I wish I could get Poly-V's for some of my other equipment, at a reasonable price.

Sorry guys, I've been goofing off and not paying attention. Trying to budget my time.

Jake: yes, I did replace the pulleys. Piece of cake.

Dave: link-belt noisy? Mine is VERY quiet and VERY smooth. Band saw is the next candidate. Jointer runs smooth/quiet w/OEM belt.

Dave: I'm STILL not paying attention.

re: your query as to model: TS2424

Where did you get he pulleys for the link belt??? I have used the link belt over the years in the optical busines on many machines and like them. I would change to them in a "New York Second". Jake Please pay attention as this may be something that RIDGID may address in the CHANGES ON YOUR UNITS or offer as and option.

As to the pulleys---they sell machined pulleys in kits with link belts---check the major ww'ing catalogs. However, I think Rigid, at least on the 2424, has already addressed the issue by going with machined pulleys and the Poly' V belts mentioned---Link belts are obviously a good alternative to standard belts and cast pulleys, but the current Rigid system sounds like a winner.

I purchased my set from:

2 pullies & link belt & shipping $52.94

They were quick and easy.

rodney j in tx

Don't mean to be argumentative but I have to agree with Woodbutcher. I have the TS2424 as well and even after checking allignment and tension, I wasn't completely satisfied with the OEM belt. It was OK but I was getting a slight vibration that I didn't like and any adjustment I made with tension (pully allignment was right on) had no effect. Therefore, I decided to try the link belts and pullies. Made a big difference in startup and running smoothness on my machine. Passed the nickle test, penny test and even the dime test [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I can't explain why they work better but they do. Don't knock them, they make me appreciate and enjoy my TS 2424 even more than before .