X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3660 aftermarket splitter and belt tension

I'm really pleased with the 3660 - it's proving to be a great saw, with two exceptions.

The splitter is pretty flimsy - any recommendations from this group on an aftermarket splitter? I'm heard lots of good things about the mj splitter, but it doesn't look like much more than a small piece of plastic.

Separately, I'm having a lot of issues with keeping the belt tensioned properly. It seems that unless the blade is all the way up, there isn't enough tension to drive the blade. From what I can tell, the alignment is good, so that isn't the issue. It's almost as if the belt that came with it isn't the right size. Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

Re: 3660 aftermarket splitter and belt tension

Originally posted by poulsbohemian View Post
    I'm really pleased with the 3660 - it's proving to be a great saw, with two exceptions.

The splitter is pretty flimsy - any recommendations from this group on an aftermarket splitter? I'm heard lots of good things about the mj splitter, but it doesn't look like much more than a small piece of plastic.

Separately, I'm having a lot of issues with keeping the belt tensioned properly. It seems that unless the blade is all the way up, there isn't enough tension to drive the blade. From what I can tell, the alignment is good, so that isn't the issue. It's almost as if the belt that came with it isn't the right size. Any tips or suggestions appreciated.
    sounds like you don't have it adjusted properly.

There is a thread on 3650/3660 assembly that you should search for and review.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
      sounds like you don't have it adjusted properly.

There is a thread on 3650/3660 assembly that you should search for and review.
      Good idea but I'm not sure how relevant that thread would be with regard to belt tensioning issues as the 3650/3660 saws are completely different in how the motor mounts. Re-read your manual and give the thread mentioned a look, maybe you'll come up with an answer.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I had the same problem with my 3660. I found that the bolts that are used to tighten the motor mount to the saw loosened up with very little use and the motor was sliding in toward the saw thus loosening the tension. I put some locktite on the threads, pulled the motor up to a good tension and really tightened them bad boys down. Has been fine ever since.
        I found that you want a little "bounce" in the motor. I have very little vibration and the height of the blade has no affect.
        Last edited by Altima 3.5; 03-30-2009, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X