Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bevel Angle Heel Error (again)

Hello,
    Today, while researching my tablesaw purchase a bit more, I read that "Due to the way the trunion is mounted and the effect of the cantilevered motor, some contractor saws have trouble (to varying degrees) maintaining blade parallelism alignment with the blade tilted at an angle." from: Selecting a Tablesaw

So I wondered whether this is true of Ridgid saws... I searched the WW and Tips forums here to see if the Ridgid saws have the same quirk. Here are the only two related topics I found in "the archives" of this forum:
    TS2424 Heeling Problem at 45 Degrees
    Bevel Blade Heel

I'm wondering what your experience has been with this, and if there are any ways to correct the error by jury rigging, or adjustment. I intend to do a lot of bevel cutting, and they need to be clean cuts.

Any info on this problem with respect to TS3612 is much appreciated.
    Thanks again!
    Rich

[ 02-26-2003, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Rich ]

I can not offer much advice on the 3612, I proudly own the 2424. However, in any such case of your post, it is a trunnion/alignment error, and is fixable with any saw. Unless it has experienced damage.

Right after purchasing my 2424 I ran upon a drill bit end broken off and inbedded in a piece of wood I was ripping. It set off a chain reaction which required a total set up procedure. It damaged the insert and fence as well.

The alignments can be relativily compared to a 3 point perspective. Turning any of the 3 angles on it's axis should not cause the other 2 to change. If it does, one of the other 2 is not correctly aligned.

Many things can change the pitch of movement. A worn bearing, bent mounting bolt, a worn arbor, cupped washer, pulleys not in alignment, warped blade; all which must be considered.

To say that a new 3612 will have problems such as these is a total adjustment issue. To say it may need some tweeking; that is common with any saw. Ridgid is highly refined. Not polished... but affordable, reliable and trustworthy.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
    X