care of cast iron top

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• care of cast iron top

As I said earlier, I just got my 3650 yesterday. It was a return, but only very slightly used. The guy who bought it returned it becasue it would not cut through 3/4 MDF. Home Depot gave him his money back and when they looked at it he had installed the moter incorrectly. They guaranteed it and sold it to me for $299.00. The question I have now is, the cast iron top does not shine like some of the pictures that I have seen on this forum. What do I need to do to shine it up, and care for it?

Thanks

Re: care of cast iron top

use the forum search feature and you can find all the threads referencing cast iron table top maintenance. topcote is one product that does a good job of restoring rusted/dirty CI tops. so does wd40 and the abrasive side of a kitchen sink sponge. follow either with a coat of paste wax, like johnson's paste wax. avoid car waxes as they contain silicone which can transfer to material being cut and complicate finishing operations.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Re: care of cast iron top

Artho, I bought a 3660 a few months ago. New out of the box. The cast iron top is very prone to rust, as is any cast iron. First, go get yourself some 3M green scouring pads. Then WD40, or mineral spirits. Scrub the top thoroughly, then wipe down very clean. You will be surprised at the black gunk that comes off. Next, I use a coat of Boeshield T9, then wipe off before it dries. Then a coat or two of Johnsons paste wax. I guess you could go straight to the wax after cleaning, but I think the T9 gives better protection. Just get used to the idea that with cast iron, it is a never ending maintenance process.
      "non illegitimis carborundum"

Comment

Working...
      X