X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metal cutting

I may have to cut some aluminum or brass pipe on my table saw (2400)

I'd like some suggestions on how to. I've never cut metal on the table saw

Re: metal cutting

If the blade & saw are designed for wood, then don't even think about it.
    Everything will be wrong,- toothing, set,& hardening of the blade, and espescially RPM. You may end up being seriously injured, or at best ruining a good tool. Get a Plumber or a Smith to cut for you, or if it's only a few small cuts, use a hacksaw with a bi-metal blade.

Comment

Originally posted by jbdstlu View Post

If this is something you envision yourself needs to do regularly, then you'd probably want to invest in an abrasive cut-off saw, I think.

Depending on how thick it is, though, you can just get a cheap pipe cutter (one of the clamp/wheel types that you rotate around the pipe, slowly scoring it until it breaks). I've used those to cut copper and black iron pipe before, at least.

--Jeff

Comment

a chop saw/ miter saw is safer as the piece can be properly secured.

the blade of choice is a carbide tipped triple chip grind non ferrious design.

depending on the wall thickness, the aluminum can be cut pretty good with a plywoof blade and lube. i don't think the brass will be as easy or safe.

i wouldn't use the table saw. i do use my chop saw.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with Rick. Your table saw was not designed for cutting metal.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Do you use an oxyacetylene torch to cut wood? NO!
            Do you use a chain pipe cutter to cut wood? NO!
            Why? Because these tools are designed for a specific function.

Table saws are designed for a specific function and that is "CUTTING WOOD"!
            The motor speed, Horse power, are designed for wood cutting saw blades.

Yes folks cut "thin/soft" brass and perhaps aluminum using the proper blade on a table saw.
            BUT that is not right! It is NOT SAFE! I prefer a band saw for that type material.

We even had a fellow ask about using a wood cutting miter saw with a metal chop blade to cut steel! The wood cutting miter saw is designed to cut wood period, not metal! A wood cutting miter saw has a lot of plastic parts that does not play well with metal sparks flying!

As an architect, do you use a 30/60 triangle to make a 45degree angle? Of course not!
            Well the same for cutting metal.....USE the right tool designed for the job!

Get a METAL CUTTING CHOP SAW, a hacksaw, use a band saw with a metal cutting blade.
            Use the correct tool SAFELY, and cut the material correctly.

I can't believe all the folks posting on this and other reflectors attempting to use tools designed for one type of function on something the tool is obviously not made for!
            Are we that lazy? or just stupid?????

Rant over

Cactus Man
            Last edited by cactusman; 05-19-2009, 11:44 AM.

Comment

One other tool not mentioned is a bandsaw with a proper metal cutting blade and the right speed.

There are lots of bandsaws that come with two speed choices.. the slower setting is for metal...

edit: Oops! It was mentioned, sorry Cactusman
              Cheers! - Jim
              -------------
              All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Aluminum and brass are both regularly cut with "wood" blades everyday. I would use a skill saw myself with the pipe secured in a vise or clamped down. When cutting put a little wax or a squirt of WD-40 on the blade.

Comment

Re: metal cutting SICK EM

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                  Aluminum and brass are both regularly cut with "wood" blades everyday. I would use a skill saw myself with the pipe secured in a vise or clamped down. When cutting put a little wax or a squirt of WD-40 on the blade.
                  Good spankin Brother He He
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Ridgid makes a saw that works great for cutting metal (I think it is a 614). We use it alot in our shop for cutting steel pipe 5" and under. It is alot quicker than a abrasive saw.

Comment

Unless one has a lot to do, there is a low cost method I use called a hacksaw, I have cut a lot of steel conduit with one over the years,

clamp it solid and cut a way,

a tubing cutter or pipe cutter may do the job easly as well,

even a jig saw with a metal cutting blade and the next step up is a reciprocating saw, if power is need,
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Stupid is a little harsh, and I wouldn't call it lazy. Most folks have a limited number of tools and are always trying to find ways to make do with what they have.

That being said, I don't think a table saw should be use to cut metal, especially pipe. You might get away with it, but you might find yourself with a piece of pipe sticking out of your head. If you have a lot to do, I would look at getting a metal cutting bandsaw. If you only have a few pieces, an old fashion hacksaw will work.

Comment

never mind all the negative know-it-alls as one person here said people cut aluminum and other non ferrous metals all the time with woodworking tools.

However that being said there would be a blade change in it for you to a non ferrous metal cutting blade.

better to use a chop saw if you have one.

Perhaps if you can explain in more detail what you would like to cut and how, we can be of more assistance to you.

Comment

when cutting tubing or an thing round, you want it secure as if the blade grabs it and the tube spins it can get dangerous in a hurry,

I have more concern of you getting hurt with the round tube than the cutting metal on the saw.

make a good V block and secure it to keep it from spinning, if you choose to use power,
                            Last edited by BHD; 05-15-2009, 07:47 PM.
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                              I agree. Wood blades work fine. You have to be careful that you're not cutting too thin of a gage of metal. With very thin metal, the blade teeth grab the stock and pull the blade into the work. I've busted off teeth this way. Feed slowly.

Olive oil also works as a lube on the aluminum. And, you can lick your fingers when done.

Abrasive cutoff saw is unfortunately a low-precision cut.

I wouldn't use a table saw because you don't want to be holding the work with hands. With a miter saw, the work is held down and against the back fence, which is good. And if I even though about using a radial arm, I would take a break until my senses returned.

Again, FEED SLOWLY.

Good luck, be careful, stop if it doesn't feel right.

-Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X