Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jack planes

hey folks,
    I'm looking to purchase a 14 inch jack plane(no high end please).
    As usual, there are quite a few low ends to chose from.
    From what i've read so for, you can purchase alow end and later upgrade the blade and chipper to Hock relacements.
    Any suggestions?

Re: jack planes

Spend some time at Woodnet Swap and Sell

There are plenty of old pre WWII Stanleys to be had at reasonable prices. In particular, look for posts by a guy that uses Leonard Bailey as a screen name, PM him if nothing interesting is online right now. With patience you can find a great old plane for what the India knockoffs sell for.

ken
    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I'll 2nd the suggestion to look to some older quality planes....expanding your search to include Bailey, Millers Falls, and Record should net you plenty of quality opportunities to buy at a reasonable price.

Here are a couple of examples that I paid in the range of $25-$50 each for...

Last edited by hewood; 03-31-2009, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Please forgive my grammer and spelling on the first thread and this reply.
        Thanks for the reply and the pictures however, i was hoping that someone had some experience with a footprint,anant,groz, or a new stanley and that they may have even tried the hock upgrade.
        Thanks for your patience

Comment

Even with a blade upgrade, there could be some considerable flattening to be done to make the cheap newer planes work well, and you'll still be faced with sloppier seating of the frog, sloppier adjustment mechanisms, and inferior metallurgy throughout. Not saying they can't be made to work well, but I am suggesting that it could be more effort than it's worth. Most of the older planes are flat, fettled, and just need a little polish, honing, and tweaking to adjust.
          Last edited by hewood; 04-01-2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

I have the Lie-Neilsen low angle jack plane and it is a hummer. My problem is learning to sharpen. I have two stanley smoothing planes and the old one is the better of the two. They were both quite a chore to get the sole of the planes flat. I tried a Lie-Neilsen blade with them and it worked well. I have not tried the hock blade but do have a Hock chip breaker. I have only been trying planes for a year or so and am still learning. I was given one of the early Groz planes and the sloppy workmanship on it caused me to trade it for a stanley.
            Last edited by harrison2119; 03-31-2009, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Old Timer, it is really a shame you didn’t post about this time last year. I upgraded all of my Stanley’s last year including a #5. All of them had been well tuned, I would agree with the previous posts. If you are trying to get the biggest bang for your buck I would keep an eye out for an old Stanley, Record, Millers Falls, Montgomery Wards, etc… Most of these will set you back no more the $40. All of mine had the original irons, I could not justify spending the $$ on an aftermarket iron. When tuned and sharpened properly the old Stanley's perform every bit as good as most new planes.

happy hunting

tgomez

Comment

Originally posted by billie_bob View Post
                Old Timer, it is really a shame you didn’t post about this time last year. I upgraded all of my Stanley’s last year including a #5. All of them had been well tuned, I would agree with the previous posts. If you are trying to get the biggest bang for your buck I would keep an eye out for an old Stanley, Record, Millers Falls, Montgomery Wards, etc… Most of these will set you back no more the $40. All of mine had the original irons, I could not justify spending the $$ on an aftermarket iron. When tuned and sharpened properly the old Stanley's perform every bit as good as most new planes.

happy hunting

tgomez
                When you guys are talkin' abuot "the old Stanley's" are you referring to iron sole'd planes, or the planes made with a solid wood body?

I've seen a few wooden body planes on sale on ebay which look interesting, but I always thought the added weight of the iron would be beneficial.

Please enlighten a hand plane newbie

Thanks,
                Jeff

Comment

I was refering to iron body planes. The only wooden body plane I have ever used was a rabetting plane, from what I recall it worked ok.

tgomez

Comment

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
                    When you guys are talkin' abuot "the old Stanley's" are you referring to iron sole'd planes, or the planes made with a solid wood body?

I've seen a few wooden body planes on sale on ebay which look interesting, but I always thought the added weight of the iron would be beneficial.

Please enlighten a hand plane newbie

Thanks,
                    Jeff
                    Iron body.
                    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Working...
                    X