PC 895PK VS BOSCH 1617EVSPK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC 895PK VS BOSCH 1617EVSPK

I am looking to upgrade from my current router. I will be doing a lot of dovetail jig and cabinet work. I have narrowed the selection to the PC 895PK combo and the Bosch 1617EVSPK combo. What are some of the pros and cons for both.

I have the Bosch 1617EVSPK combo and love it. Does everything that I want it to do. PC makes great tools as well. The pro is see to the PC over the Bosch is minimal for me but maybe not for someone else. First thing is the availability of accessories. In my area PC is the standard tool for all tool stores to carry. My particular store also carries almost a full line of Bosch. The second advantage is if you plan on putting the PC in a router table. They have provided a socket in the plate of the router to run a fine tuning knob through a hole in the router table to adjust the depth from the top. I have a dedicated 3 1/2 hp for my table so it does not matter to me. Either way, I am sure that you will be happy with either of them.
    I came...<br /><br />I saw...<br /><br />I changed the plans.

Comment

The 895PK has many great features, but my only complaint is the above-the-table adjustment. Ultimately that was reason I went for this router. Other routers have the ability to adjust from above the table, but you still must reach under the table to unlock the base (Milwaukee) whereas with the 895PK this could also be done from the top. The problem is when you unlock the 895PK, there was movement of the motor. Not a drastic amount, but movement nonetheless. So when you adjusted it to the height you wanted and then locked the motor, it would move slightly throwing your measurement off.

There is a small strip of 'teeth' on the side of the router motor that is used for the depth adjustment. In the short time I used the router, these became clogged with dust and debris. (mostly unavoidable but could have been my own fault for not enough dust collection) The problem came when I went to use the height adjustment, and it became very difficult to move the router, so I had to continually remove the motor from the base and clean it out.(PITA) Unfortunately the constant clogging weakened the strip of 'teeth' and they eventually broke. Luckily, the shop I bought it from was good enough to exchange it for me. I decided not to shortcut it this time, and I ended up with a dewalt 618 (same hp and other features) and a Jessem Rout-R-Lift FX (SWEET) for a few extra well-spent bucks.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing PC...Everything I've read and seen still says they are just about the best in routers. But I think they need to have another look at this newest feature.

Comment

I have the PC 895pk with both bases. Both routers are good and will get the job done without complaint. I chose the PC for two reasons: Price, got it with both bases and the microadjustment for about $230 at Amazon , and most importantly, accesories are readily available from any manufacturer who makes router accesories, pc is the standard(for good or bad).
        Amazon had the best price by far. Right now they offer $25 off and free shipping.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I'm using the Makita RF1101 combo set and I love it. Price was better than either the PC or the Bosch and has all the same features except for the 'above the table adjustment' of the PC. Also, for those who are concerned about such things, the Makita is made in the USA.

Comment

Dusthead, kinda surprised you are not using the Canadian model, it may even work for your mortise issue if handled properly

Comment

Also, the above the table adjustment is not useful for me since my router table is open. I wouldn't base your purchase on that alone.
              You might also want to look at the milwaukee. Under $200 and it is very nice for handheld work. The only reason I didnt get it is because I wanted a plunge base and I could not find anyone who stocked it. No one would give me a estimate on delivery either. That might have changed by now.
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Gentleman, regarding routers the curent value for a table router is the Hitachi, you are wishing to use an adoptive means for many uses, suggest other values, in my trade I use a router that is power fed by hydraulics, 6,000.00 yet alome the diamond bits, another 3,000 to 10,000 in dollars, com on fellas get real if you wish to do good work, spend the money!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Add on , I own the PC cordless, use it for dove tails exclusively, no cord in the way, this is from an ole retired marble mason, I do in stone what you do in wood, yet my trade is still in the 19th century, by the way Norm Brams does not impress me at all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

PC was, and I think still is, running a promo on the 890 series routers. You buy one and then get a form from their website and you get the above the table microadjust thingy for free from them. That way you can do what I did and buy a different kit and have two bases, AND above table adjust thing.

Since the year so far has been absolute hell, I can't comment on how my PC router works. It has only been out of box once, the day it came, to look it over. That was in early Feb. You'll have to rely on guys with experience for actual use opinions. FWIW, though, it has a very well thought out design, many features that make you say "very good, nice and simple, how come no one else thought of that before?" How well they executed it, only time will tell.

Comment

wbrooks,

I bought it in Canada...does that count?

Actually, I don't buy based on country of manufacture. Like most of us, I try to get the best tool I can possibly get for the best price. If it happens to be made here, great. If not, maybe I'm keeping someone else in a job in a different country. Either way, someone's happy to have a job, and I'm happy to have the tool I want.

Comment

Beauper

Thanks for the review of the PC, that appears to be a serious flaw for a tool that was well behind the competition getting to market and received so much publicity when it finally arrived. You neglected to provide any opinions on your newly acquired DeWalt router, let us know how it performs after you have used it for a while. For what it’s worth, I’ve had the Makita combo for a couple of years now and I am very happy with it. I must admit though, every time I wrap my hand around the 2.25hp Milwaukee Bodygrip router I have a difficult time leaving the store without it.

Woodslayer

Comment

I just found the PC 895PK at Coastal Tools for $229 with the dust collection handle and a mail in offer for the above the table adjustment. But I am really concerned about the movement Beaupr mentioned. Is this a common problem with this model or is this an isolated incodent?

Comment

Working...
                          X