X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 has a defective miter slot?

I got a new incra miter gage for Christmas. Now that I have a miter gage that fits correctly I have discovered that it is lose on the out feed side and tight in the infeed side. I think that means that my miter gage slot is not a uniform width. Any ideas what I can do?

Waid

Re: TS3650 has a defective miter slot?

Have you waxed your slots? Just wondering if there might be a build-up of heavy wax on one end.

Comment

I'll look into that possibility. It would be terrific if it was something so simple.

Thanks

Waid

Comment

I would think that the miter slots on your TS3650 are cut on a CNC mill. The chance that it would have been cut out of tolerance is unlikely, but still possible. I would check the miter slot with a set of calipers, using the top set of jaws for inside measurements. Try to keep the calipers as close to 90 degrees to the miter slot as possible.

Another way to check would be to use your old miter guage bar and a feeler guage. Hold the miter bar against one side of the slot and place one or more of the blades from the feeler guage into the gap, until you get a snug fit. Check along the length of the miter slot, using the same place on the miter bar and the same amount of feeler guage blades as you go. You should get the same snug fit all along the length of the miter slot.

It's always possible that you may have a metal burr in the slot that you didn't detect with the old miter guage, because it had a sloppy fit. Try running a mill file along the inside edge of the miter slot.

You didn't mention if you protect the metal surfaces of your TS with wax or some other protective product. Could your problem be nothing more than oxidation? My shop is in my garage. If I don't clean and wax my TS frequently, it doesn't take long for rust to form.

Another thought I had would be to try your Incra miter guage in the other miter slot. I'm not familiar with that brand, so it may not be possible to do this once it is assembled. However, if you can do so and you got the same results, I would suspect the miter guage and not the saw. I know I had a tough time setting up my Kreg miter guage. I wanted to achieve the perfect fit, where there was absolutely no side play. Every time I adjusted those five set screws to where I thought I had just the right adjustment, I would get pretty much the same results as you described with your Incra. I finally settled for a less than perfect fit, but still a lot tighter fit than the original miter guage provided.

Comment

Wow my miter slot is very bad! I can't believe I never noticed before. On the side that is closest to the blade and nearest to the infeed side I can feel and see were the slot is not only not straight but actually wavey. It goes like that for about 5 inches and then its good after that. No wonder the miter gauge is tight there. I don't know how ti fix this. Its gonna take a LOT of sand paper.

Comment

The miter bar on the Incra is adjustable. Is it possible that you've got the front edge of the miter bar adjustment set wider than the tail setting? That could give the impression of being tight on entry and loose on exit as the front adjuster extends past the slot.
            Last edited by hewood; 04-05-2009, 06:47 PM.

Comment

unfortunately it is not possible for this to me the miter gauge. After examination I am surprised that I didn't notice this sooner. It is a blatant and obvious defect in my miter gauge slot.

Comment

Originally posted by spaids View Post
                unfortunately it is not possible for this to me the miter gauge. After examination I am surprised that I didn't notice this sooner. It is a blatant and obvious defect in my miter gauge slot.
                Time to contact Ridgid...that should be covered under warranty as a defect.

Comment

Working...
                X