X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dados and arbors

I just bought a Craftsman Table saw Model# 21807 and i tried to use a stacked dado set but the arbor is only about 7/8" long. The widest dado i can cut is 1/2" and it doesn't really do me any good. Why would they make the arbor so short? Can i get a new arbor or is there some trick someone knows about?

Re: Dados and arbors

Originally posted by parttimeninja View Post
    I just bought a Craftsman Table saw Model# 21807 and i tried to use a stacked dado set but the arbor is only about 7/8" long. The widest dado i can cut is 1/2" and it doesn't really do me any good. Why would they make the arbor so short? Can i get a new arbor or is there some trick someone knows about?
    leave the stabilizer washer off the outside of the blade for stacked dado blades. It's not necessary.

Lot's of us do it that way. Never had a problem.

Comment

Looking just at the picture of that saw and not having read the manual it looks like to me that the saw is a fancied up benchtop table saw. If that is the case then it like many other benchtop saws are only capable of sawing ½" maximum width dados. I would guess that the reason for that is that the saws don't have enough power to safely cut wider dados. Somewhere in your Owners Manual it should tell you what the maximum width dado your saw can do.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I spoke too quick

Page 3 of the owners manual says that 1/2" is as large as it will take.

I know reading the instructions is a last resort, but you might give it a try.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...P?sid=BVReview

There is a link to the owners manual in several languages between the description and the specifications on the right hand side of the page.

Comment

Thanks for responding guys. Someone told me that you can put a dado blade on any table saw as long as you replaced the throat plate. I never thought about arbor length. Maybe down the road i'll buy a better saw

Comment

Working...
          X