Is the 3660 miter gauge that bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the 3660 miter gauge that bad?

I need to preface this by saying that I know zero about this stuff and I'm here to try to learn. Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, let me ask this: Is the miter gauge that comes with the TS 3660 really that bad? I seem to have seen several threads where folks are suggesting replacing it. I figure that since I don't know what the hell I'm doing anyway, it probably isn't that big a deal for me. Is the "stock" miter good enough for me to learn how to do things with or should I replace it right off?

Re: Is the 3660 miter gauge that bad?

It depends on what your demands are out of it.

It works just fine for me. I may be on a tighter budget than most. If you can't think of a good reason that you need a better one yourself then I think I'd wait to make the purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by sikrap View Post
      I need to preface this by saying that I know zero about this stuff and I'm here to try to learn. Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, let me ask this: Is the miter gauge that comes with the TS 3660 really that bad? I seem to have seen several threads where folks are suggesting replacing it. I figure that since I don't know what the hell I'm doing anyway, it probably isn't that big a deal for me. Is the "stock" miter good enough for me to learn how to do things with or should I replace it right off?
      It is good enough for many things. It isn't quite as accurate as a more expensive miter gauge that lets you get things to a 1/2 degree; nor does it have a long bar for a stops. I've had a 3650 for a year, and do want an Incra eventually; but there are lots of things on the tool list first.

You can do a lot with just your stock miter gauge, and building a crosscut sled is probably more important than a new miter gauge.

Comment

mine works fine. it was a little sloppy in the slots so i tightened it up but otherwise all is good

Comment

It all depends on what you're doing and how much accuracy is required. I was happy with the stock one until I started doing picture frames. The accuracy required on those cuts made me get an Incra. The Osborne is also a good choice from what I can see. It's nice to have the longer, accurate fence and a way to attach stop blocks. Also, the Incra is very consistent which means I can change a setting and go back to the original and be right on. That's not always true with stock miter gauges.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
            It all depends on what you're doing and how much accuracy is required. I was happy with the stock one until I started doing picture frames. The accuracy required on those cuts made me get an Incra. The Osborne is also a good choice from what I can see. It's nice to have the longer, accurate fence and a way to attach stop blocks. Also, the Incra is very consistent which means I can change a setting and go back to the original and be right on. That's not always true with stock miter gauges.
            Yeah, I agree; I found the accuracy is noticeable when making mitred door frames. I can't really justify an incra at the moment (although I'll eventually get one ), so I ended up making a jig for these types of cuts. I still use the stock gauge for everything else.

Comment

you should use a miter sled when you need to cut miters!

Comment

Originally posted by mike gager View Post
                you should use a miter sled when you need to cut miters!
                Yep, that's what I ended up building Works wonderfully.

Comment

you can take most of the "slop" out of the stock miter gauge by center punching the length of each side of the miter gauge bar until the fit is snug in the slot. once the play is minimized, add an auxiliary fence to the gauge and it will significantly improve its usability. when the time comes, keep an eye on amazon.com. i got the incra 1000se and a separate miter bar for under $100. it's not necessary for quality work, but it does add a level of convenience that's nice.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                    you can take most of the "slop" out of the stock miter gauge by center punching the length of each side of the miter gauge bar until the fit is snug in the slot.
                    thats what i did but i used an old chisel

Comment

You get better precision from a good aftermarket gauge, and easy adjustment of the miter bars. The stock gauge can be set for 90° work, but rotating the head to say 15° isn't likely to give you a very accurate 15°, and will need to be checked everytime you use it. Sloppiness of the miter bar can also throw off your cuts. You've got a few hundred dollars invested in a tool that has the potential for accurate cuts that are suitable for fine woodworking. A good aftermarket blade, ZCI, and miter gauge will optimize your investment. A gauge like the Incra V27 retails for < $60, and goes on sale in the $40 range....money well spent IMHO. If all you're cutting is 2x4's for a treehouse, you really don't need the improved precision, but it sure is handy for the joinery needed for a dresser or table.

Comment

Just ordered the Incra 1000SE myself. Just haven't been that crazy about the stock one (Sloppy). The stock one will get used on my band saw or router table moving forward. Time to intorduce Incra to my 3660

Bottom line: Depends on what you'll use it for. If your just starting out, there might be more important things on your list before an upgraded miter gauge.

Comment

I, too, went on the hunt for a better miter gauge. The stock one with the 3650 really is a P.O.J., but it will work in a pinch. If you want to spend the minimum amount of money, Google "MiterSet" and get that. At least you'll be able to accurately set the angle. Attach an auxiliary fence and voila, you'll get reasonably good cuts. An even worse P.O.S. miter gauge came with my Rikon belt/disc sander. Wow, just total China plastic junk. (But it did have a pretty nice auxialiary fence, oddly enough!)

So, anyway, I got an Osborne EB-3 about two years ago, and I have to say I really like it. It's got a *great* sliding fence extension and stop, is rock solid, and once set it stays accurrate. I'm less than thrilled with the ability to quickly and accurately dial in an angle. I leave it at 90-degrees and it's my go-to miter gauge for square cross-cuts.

About 2 or 3 months ago I purchased the Rockler cross-cut sled. I toyed with making one myself, but I'm lucky enough that I have the means to pay, rather than use time... as time is really at a premium, and the home projects and childrens' needs are more pressing than shop projects. I have to say, I am extremely impressed with the sled and it was worth whatever I paid for it on sale ($99, I think).

A month ago, I saw that Rockler stores had the Incra V27 miter gauge on sale for $39.99. I've been looking for a much better, compact gauge for bandsaw and sander use, and for the occasional tablesaw use. Very pleased with this purchase. It is solid, and the preset angles are dead-on (I verified them with the Miter Set and using the Wixey digital angle gauge). I attached a short aluminum fence (from the P.O.S. sander's miter gauge) and it serves me very well. A quick Google for the v27 yields a price of around $45.

So, for someone on a tight budget, who wanted a good, utilitarian miter gauge and nothing else (e.g.. fence, stops, etc) I would wholeheartedly recommend the Incra v27. If you foresee more robust needs, and it will be strictly for the tablesaw, I'd recommend the Rockler sled. The best of both worlds is the Incra Miter Express in conjunction with any of their miter gauges. ;-)

Comment

Thanks!! I appreciate the advice. I'm in no real need for one rigt now, but I'll start keeping an eye out for the V27 and see if I can find one on a deal.

Comment

The day will come when I also upgrade to an Incra , yeah !
                              but till then Im still useing my stock gauge, heh, Im even
                              building a finger joint jig for it. its not "that" bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X