X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tools needed for cabinet making

I have a 12' Ryobi planer, but the few times that I have used it I always end up with some visible snipe. I know that I should plane before I cut for lenght, but I might not have that option as some af my oak is cut to almost the right length already. any Ideas?

Comment

Are there any cabinet shops around you? Possibly you could even contact a local woodworking club that will plane your stock for you.

If the snipe is only visible on one side, and only affects the first few inches, just let the side showing snipe be the back or hidden side.

There's also a good chance that adjustments to your planer, or extra support for the stock you're feeding it, will fix your snipe problem.

Comment

To help with snipe from a planer you could try a couple of things. First you could glue runners to both edges a few inches longer than the board you are planning. This way the snipe will occur on the runners and you just cut the runners off. Another more involved method is to build a sled for the board to run on. If you do a search for a planer sled you find plenty of ideas.

I may be a lot of extra work but getting the lumber to the same dimension will help things go smoother, in addition to making all the same sized cuts at the same time.

Comment

Some thought I would add:

Before you start, consider making a good accurate cross-cut sled to square up the panel inserts, and to get exact 90 degree cuts on the stiles and rails for the doors. If there are a lot of doors, a good miter saw will definitely come in handy (and it does not need to be a 12" slider, either!)

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Even better yet, make a miter sled for your table saw. This will take care of the 90 degree turns and will be dead-on. Also, for me it's easier to cut the miters on a table saw because it seems easier to visualize the cuts I need to make.

It only takes a few minutes, and very little material, to make a cross cut sled and a miter sled. The miter sled is optional but I don't see how anyone gets along without a crosscut sled. Actually, I used to play hell cutting square panels until I built one.

Comment

This is probably a really dumb question, but what exactly is a crosscut sled and how would I build one?

Comment

Originally posted by artho View Post
                This is probably a really dumb question, but what exactly is a crosscut sled and how would I build one?
                Here you go...

http://www.woodworking.com/article_a...=6&article=741

http://www.woodworking.com/article_a...=6&article=532

HTH
                Cheers! - Jim
                -------------
                All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Since you obviously have internet connection just go to google and type in 'cross cut sled' and you'll get about a million hits. You can build something very elaborate or something very simple. Both get the same results; square cuts on panels or stock.

The simplest one to build consists of a piece of 3/4" plywood or MDF that's about 18" x 24". You can size it to fit your needs. Anyway, you have the piece of plywood, a hardwood runner that is sized to fit your miter slot without any side-to-side play, and a fence to put your stock against when you use the sled.

I like to make mine so that it fits in the right-hand miter slot. The important thing is that the sled fence and its hardwood runner are exactly 90 degrees to one another. If your saw is set up correctly this is a snap to do. Just place your runner in the miter slot...it should not be as tall as the slot, but not much less either...put washers in the bottom of the slot so that the runner stands just proud of the slot and put double sided carpet tape on the runner, set your sled body on the table so that it is lined up with the saw fence and the left part of it extends past the blade, and push it down. Turn the sled over and attach the runner with countersunk screws. Now install the sled fence by placing a framing square along the saw fance and across the sled. Align the fence and fasten it down.

If you've done all of this correctly the sled should make perfectly square cuts. Also, the left side of the sled, where you sawed a bit off, lets you know exactly where the blade will cut.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I am doing the same right now. I put the router down and I am doing everything on the 3650. Much better results when using a dado blade.

Do your self a favor and order some #6 1" fine thread pocket hole screws. The #8 that you buy locally(lowes for me) will tend to crack the oak.

Depending on your hinges, you may want a fosner bit. 1-3/8" is what I have been using.

Comment

If you're going to use a crosscut sled in conjunction with a dado blade you'll want the sled to run in the LEFT miter slot.

Onefaststang, if you're using a sled this way you're probably already doing so.

Comment

Working...
                      X