Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote control for DC in another room?

I have a Jet 1100-series dust collecter that has an infrared remote. I'm planning on converting an unused 8' x 10' section of my basement, currently walled-off, to house the DC and a compressor. A separate AC circuit will be installed.

The problem is that I'm trying to figure out how to retain the useful remote. I guess my options are that I can:
    * install a window,
    * install an infrared repeater,
    * or remove the remote unit from the Dust Collector and hardwire it with an AC switch that operates with a remote:

I like the last option best, but am unfamiliar with remote-enabled switches that are designed for heavier-duty use like this (I have a Lutron in my home theater that I use with my programmable remote to dim the lights, but I don't think it will do well in a dirty environment and with a heavy load).

Anyone encounter this and able to offer advice?

I know I can just put a standard switch on the wall, but I'm trying to avoid the constant back and forth to the switch. I normally turn the DC on as I use a tool, then turn it off a minute or two later. I'd prefer an RF solution so I don't have to worry about line-of-sight.

Re: Remote control for DC in another room?

Here's what I use and it works great. Can't beat the price either.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=21
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks Bob! I never thought of "landscaping remotes"!

It seems like such a shame to dismantle my newish DC, but it seems like that's going to be the only solution!

Thanks again!

Comment

There is no need to alter you DC at all with the method I used.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          There is no need to alter you DC at all with the method I used.
          I must be missing something then.

My Jet doesn't have a hard switch for power...i.,e., supplying power to it does not power it on. One of the soft buttons still needs to be pushed or the remote used.

I was thinking that if I were to remove the "control panel" box as shown below and simply wire the motor to a heavy 3-wire cord, THEN I would be able to power it off/on by controlling (switching) the power TO the unit.

I might check to see if the newer RF units on the newer Jet models can be fitted in place of my current unit, though that's likely a fairly expensive option.

Last edited by MarkSJohnson; 04-03-2009, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X