X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molding problem

I've boxed myself into a bit of a corner on an entertainment center I'm building. Everything was going great...or at least the problems were solvable...until I ran into a situation where I need to make a tee connection with face frame molding. What I've done is install a wide top rail on the upper units and dressed up the bottom of it with a 3/4 round over bit, plus I went deep enough to show some bead. I need to tie another piece of molding in perpendicular to this and don't know how.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Molding problem

Without a bit more detail or, even better, a picture it's hard to offer much advice. But from what you did describe, it sounds like you need to make more, and miter them at the points of intersection.

Comment

What wood junkie said. Here is a sketch of what it should look like if I am following you.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pipestone Kid; 04-03-2009, 04:16 PM. Reason: wrong name

Comment

Your drawing shows exactly what I'm trying to do. The problem is that a straight miter won/t work because the piece that I'm trying to join into is rounded.

Comment

You could use a coping saw and cope the bottom piece.

Comment

Is the vertical piece rounded (as in my drawing) or square?

Comment

Pipestone, the vertical piece is rounded, just like in your drawing. I"ve wondered about putting a 3/4" straight cutting bit in a router (in a router table), setting up a temporary fence 90 degrees to that bit, and running the end of the stile into it. That would give me the curve I'm looking for. I just need ti see it I have a straight bit with 1 3/4" long cutting surface.

If I go the cope route, do I cut a 45 degree miter first?

Comment

Cut the two 45's on the vertical piece and leave the rest of it square. Then mark and cut the two 45's in the horizontal piece and cut out the square line. The horizontal piece will have to be cut using hand tools--saw and chisels etc.

Comment

I thank you much for your help. BTW, was that drawing done on sketch up?

Comment

Originally posted by E Fisher View Post
                    I thank you much for your help. BTW, was that drawing done on sketch up?
                    Nope, plastic triangle and freehand.

Comment

Working...
                    X