Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS14002 Tension Relese Lever

Ok, I give...

I have read somewhere that there is a Carter style tension release lever available at a lot less cost than the "Real McCoy", but I'll be danged if I can find it. Maybe there is some other option too, but methinks my forum search skills could use some improvement

As I'm "rebuilding" the BS14002 that I got second hand a couple of years ago, I thought I might as well try to keep it "in shape" by loosening the tension after a day's use. The problem is, I'm lazy and poor

I got this saw (assembled) with the owner's manual in a packet still hanging from a plastic wire tie, right on the saw. The guy I got if from either was employed by or knew someone at HD is my guess, because it had never been used and I got it for $150. Now that I see what is happening, I bet it was assembled by some kid in HD's employ, because nothing was fine tuned at all... it was likely a floor model.

By the way, I have learned a bunch about putting this old beast in proper shape here. Kudos all ! So far: I have ordered a link belt, urethane tires and affordable Timber Wolf blades; I also got an education about how to properly balance the wheels and fine tune the running gear. All of this based on what I learned here.

Thanks in advance (and to all who unknowingly helped me get this far here),

Dan

Re: BS14002 Tension Relese Lever

Originally posted by danparkcityut View Post
    I have read somewhere that there is a Carter style tension release lever available at a lot less cost than the "Real McCoy", but I'll be danged if I can find it.

Thanks in advance (and to all who unknowingly helped me get this far here),

Dan
    Good question, Dan. I'd like to know too, so I'm tagging along.
    De Colores,
    Dow
    Boerne, TX

Comment

Here's a few options.. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but somewhere to start with similar results.

http://lumberjocks.com/Blake/blog/3381

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...OD&ProdID=9510

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=5098

Comment

I use the one from Highland WW suggested by Wood_Junkie. I've had it for a few years and will still recommend it. Here's an older thread that has an additional suggestion. There is at least one older thread on the topic, but I couldn't find it.

BS 1400 Parts

Comment

Here's another link.
          http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=3932
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JJCiesla View Post
            I have this Carter unit on my BS1400 and it's great. Solid as a rock and the only 'true' quick-release (i.e. no cranking, winding, etc.. just lift and release).
            Pricey though...

Comment

Thank you folks, this board is awesome!

I just ordered the Highland WW version. At less than $19 shipped, I could do a little cranking and hold on to the other $150 or so I'm saving on the Carter version. I'm not, after all, on Obamer's bailout list

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate your help and advice!

Dan

Comment

why couldnt you just turn the tension knob that was already on the saw for free?

Comment

Originally posted by mike gager View Post
                  why couldnt you just turn the tension knob that was already on the saw for free?
                  Ah, but wouldn't that be too easy? Or not easy enough? Or, well, never mind... I'm a gadget hound. That's my story and I'm sticking to it LOL.

Meanwhile, the one I was looking for came in, is installed, and looking good

Comment

Working...
                  X