X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4330 planing less than 14" inches long

Any ideas on how to plane stock less than 14" long with the R4330 planer? I have a bunch of hardwood that I would like to plane the top finish off of but some pieces are less than 14" long. Would the best way be to joint and glue the pieces together first or is there a better trick to accomplish this?

Thanks

Re: R4330 planing less than 14" inches long

Originally posted by binaryclock View Post
    Any ideas on how to plane stock less than 14" long with the R4330 planer? I have a bunch of hardwood that I would like to plane the top finish off of but some pieces are less than 14" long. Would the best way be to joint and glue the pieces together first or is there a better trick to accomplish this?

Thanks
    Don't have a planer yet. However I do intend to get one R4330. I would look into making a sled based on a longer flat board thats truly flat with a few slots milled into it that would allow you to capture the short pieces of stock and send the whole works thru the machine. If the pieces are of different thickness's then I suppose you would have to send em one at a time, or shim them.

Buck

Comment

Re: R4330 planing less than 14" inches long

I've run short pieces through my planer just by following them through with longer pieces. Just sort of lightly push on them as they go through the planer. I think the reason for the minimum size requirement is that the short pieces might get between the gap in the rollers and stop moving or get sucked up into the blades and shatter.
      Joe Spear

Comment

Working...
      X