X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• specific dust collection questions

I have a small shop 16x24. I have two table saws. A Delta direct drive contractor saw and a Jet 10" table saw.
    Using the 2 1/2" wet/dry Vac hose etc. does a poor job of collecting their debris/dust.

I have decided I want to [finally] add a dust collector to use with the two table saws

The Jet has a 4" dust port on the bottom and the Delta is an open base. I have enclosed the Delta so adjusting for a dust collector will not be the challenge.

I am considering the following units:

1. Jet DC 500. 500cfm noise 65db! 1/2hp or 4.5amp 120VAC [~$199.99]
    2. Harbor Freight 94029. 1hp or 6.25amp 914cfm bag 12gal noise 107-112db! [~$99.00]
    3. Harbor Freight 99791 1hp or 6.25amp 600cfm bag 23gal noise 96db! cfm? [~$139.00]

I understand the difference in quality between Jet and Harbor Freight.
    Since the shop area is small I'm actually more concerned with NOISE than how large the bag is. I believe a range of 500-600+cfm is ok for a single table saw.

I do not have the finances , space, or need for a $300+ dust collection system. I have no challenges collecting dust from the other power tools like the band saw, miter saw, or assorted sanders. They are all under control and the large 16 gallon Ridgid vacuum does just fine. The vacuum is around 190cfm so it's quite anemic when trying to capture table saw saw dust!

Anyone using the small Jet dust collector or any of the others I listed? I'd appreciate some comments.

Cactus Man

Re: specific dust collection questions

I like you have a small shop/garage 24x24, I also need affordability and after alot of research will be buying the Harbor Freight 97869 replacing the bag with a Wynn cartridge filter. Currently the DC is onsale for 179.00 (also have 15% coupon) at the store and if you mention the sale to the online customer service they will drop the price to 200.00. From everything I read online going this route you get alot of bang for the buck. If anyone has a negitive experience going with the HF and Wynn please post and let me know...Thanks and good luck Cactusman

Comment

Sorry PMR413 The unit are discussing is not going to fit my needs.
      I have limited power and the dust collector 97869 is 20 amps on 120VAC

Also how loud is it [noisy]? No sound level is given in the manual.

Please revisit my three listed units and if you are familiar with them please comment

Cactus Man

Comment

If you don't want to wear ear muffs whenever the DC is running then stay under 80dB if possible.

Above 110 is near the threshold of pain.

REF this table from an OSHA pub

Notice that a jackhammer is rated at 115 dB and exposure w/o hearing protection is limited to 15 minutes!!

Attached is a publication from OSHA titled "A Guide for Protecting Workers from Woodworking Hazards" which is where I got the table above from.

No one wants to spend more than they have to. But hearing aids are not cheap either.
        Attached Files
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Sorry I can't comment on your 3 as the HF will be my first DC, hence no experience with the others...Pat

Comment

Well, I think I'm leaning towards the jet model, for various reasons.

1. noise level 65db
            2. cfm 500 ..this should be ok for the jet 10"table saw
            3. draws around 4.5amps

Anyone on this reflector using the jet dc 500???

Cactus Man

Comment

Just to let you know, I ordered the Jet DC-500 dust collector.

I decided to go with a brand name product. I did see some China knockoffs but I have found when you require replacement parts it's almost impossible to locate them!

I also found the Jet noise level rating 65db very important. Some knockoffs claim low noise but still sound like a jet engine winding up!

Now for the nitty gritty.....
              I just learned the CFM specification given by -ALL- makers of dust collection equipment is
              a scam! The number they print is what's developed at the output port right at the motor at no load! As you add hose and fittings you start to precipitously lose CFM. Some machines can lose 40% of their rated CFM by the time you get to the tool!

The average 10" table saw desires 500-650CFM to suck out most [that's "MOST"] debris.

Thus again marketing folks can manipulate the specifications of their product to make it better than it really is!

I ordered this via Amazon, as they have no sales tax and offered free shipping.
              I should see this thing in 7-10 days and after I use it for a while I'll return with a review.

According to JET technical service the DC-500 should be able to accommodate their 10" table saw....We'll see!

Cactus Man

Comment

While I agree that manufacturers manipulate numbers to paint the best picture, I'm not sure it's unwarranted according to your description. They can not assume what your layout will be and try to produce numbers for that. It might be possible to show a scale with variable numbers where you can guess what your expected results will be. Otherwise, rating it like they are doing provides the most consistent reference point that I can think of. You can only assume that efficiency will drop similarly between brands unless you have some information that tells you otherwise.

Comment

I also have a dust collector question. i have a harbor freight dc. Because Iwas moving last year I put it in storage. Now I got a new shop and plugged my dc up and it will not come on. Can anyone please tell me if thereis a reset button or how I might correct this problem?

Comment

For anyone else considering the JET DC-500:

$149 @ Woodcraft, and free shipping.
                    http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=63657

Comment

The JET DC500 didn't do it for me. Changed to the DC650. BIG, BIG improvement and it has the same footprint.
                      http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=63647
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JJCiesla View Post
                        The JET DC500 didn't do it for me. Changed to the DC650. BIG, BIG improvement and it has the same footprint.
                        http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=63647
                        I have that same DC (actually, mine's the RC model with the little remote control), but I added the DustDog canister for the filter. It works great, and is rated <1micron. I love the power the unit develops. It works great on the planer, the jointer, and the TS. Anything that can handle a planer is a decent DC!
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Now for the nitty gritty..... I just learned the CFM specification given by -ALL- makers of dust collection equipment is a scam!
                          How can you make a statement like that? The manufacturer has no control or idea of what you will connect to their equipment, so how can they give realistic CFM ratings that include ducting they don't know the configuration or make-up of?

Every fitting, every change in direction, every joint, every foot of additional ducting (or hose) will change the flow characteristics of the system. The DC manufacturer only makes one piece of the complete system, they have no responsibility or obligation to evaluate their product in the multitude of ways it might be configured as part of a dust collection system.

Should a saw blade manufacturer report on how their products will perform on various table saws?

If you bought a pair of speakers for your stereo is the speaker manufacturer obligated to provide information on all the various receivers their product might be used with? What about all the different room characteristics that affect speaker performance, should they eval those too?
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          ---------
                          ---------

Comment

vasandy...can you provide a link for the "dust dog" you mentioned. i tried to google it and didn't get anything. thanks,
                            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                              vasandy...can you provide a link for the "dust dog" you mentioned. i tried to google it and didn't get anything. thanks,
                              it's all in how your Google I guess. I got a couple hits:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...filter&aq=f&oq=
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X