No announcement yet.

To All Members of the Chat Room

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way to go Kelly. bdueker's letter seems nothing more than bs to me. (too little too late)

modelmaker
    Buy American....if you can

Comment

I said it before in another post; I don't blame Bob for what is going on at Ridgid. That is unless that I find out that he is one of the top executives which I doubt because in that case, I'm sure that he would not be the monitor of this forum. I'm also sure that he is told what he can and cannot say. I would also guess that more than one person wrote that post and it told us nothing more (in fact probably less) that we have already found out.

I don't necessarily have any problems with Ridgid outsourcing some of their manufacturing. Great products can be made anywhere if they are designed well and the proper manufacturing processes are strictly enforced. I ceratainly don't think that the Ridgid tools that I already own have gone from good to bad due these changes. However, I am a bit concerned that I will be able to get the proper parts and support in the future.

My biggest issue is that the members of this forum are some of Ridgid most dedicated and supportive customers. In the past I have always raved about the quality of the tools and especially the customer support. I have also recommended Ridgid WW tools to many others. Despite the fact that we are such loyal customers, Ridgid did not even attempt to let us know that something was happening. If not for someone reading an Emerson/Ridgid financial statement (or report) that stated that Ridgid was getting out of the WW tool business, or for several others noting Ryobi on warranty paperwork, we still might not know what was happening. It is obvious that some decisions have been made. It is the sly, "behind our backs" way that they have approached this whole issue that is causing me to lose faith. I hope that I am wrong and that everything that Bob said is true.

As for those who do not like the posts on this subject, I agree with KellyC, don't read them. Around here we generally stick to WW issues. You will find that many other forums do not. However, this is an issue that is of major importance to all of us.

[ 05-31-2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: MarkR ]
      Mark

Comment

MarkR said:

""I don't necessarily have any problems with Ridgid outsourcing some of their manufacturing. Great products can be made anywhere if .....""

Ridgid is not outsourcing "their" manufacturing. They are not going to be involved in the manufacturing, period. They will be licensing the name 'Ridgid" to some other manufacturer that will agree to supporting HD's needs.

That is how I understand what is going down.

gator

Comment

Originally posted by gator:
          MarkR said:

Ridgid is not outsourcing "their" manufacturing. They are not going to be involved in the manufacturing, period. They will be licensing the name 'Ridgid" to some other manufacturer that will agree to supporting HD's needs.
          gator
          MarkR - Will they be licensing their name ? Are you sure ? I am not so sure that they will be doing that at all, based on what I have read. Way too many vague responses from these poeple so far to take anything as gospel, IMHO anyway. Unless and until someone is willing to step up to the plate and give a concrete statement on what the REAL DEAL is here, then nothing can be assumed. Nothing.

Comment

[/QB]
            My biggest issue is that the members of this forum are some of Ridgid most dedicated and supportive customers. In the past I have always raved about the quality of the tools and especially the customer support. I have also recommended Ridgid WW tools to many others. Despite the fact that we are such loyal customers, Ridgid did not even attempt to let us know that something was happening. If not for someone reading an Emerson/Ridgid financial statement (or report) that stated that Ridgid was getting out of the WW tool business, or for several others noting Ryobi on warranty paperwork, we still might not know what was happening. It is obvious that some decisions have been made. It is the sly, "behind our backs" way that they have approached this whole issue that is causing me to lose faith. I hope that I am wrong and that everything that Bob said is true. [/QB]
            Huge point Mark...I wish I'd conveyed that thought. This is one point that since you mentioned it has bothered me to no end. If I ran a brand specific tool website forum, you can bet that the people loyal to my brand would be among the first to know that things WERE GOING TO CHANGE. Waiting until someone stumbles on the news is NOT the way to handle your "regulars". Sure isn't the way to keep them fans of the brand in my book.

I know they can't tell who and when due to SEC regulations, but they could have let us know that they were getting out of the business before we found out by accident. No one yet on this forum has come forth with that in any way except for the corporate "batch" message we read yesterday. Of course it was "in plain sight" on their website, right?

So with them not being loyal to us, how can they expect anything but the same from us?
            Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Oh well I don't have any Ridgid tools & at the rate may never have any.
              Sucking.....Whoosh....Yowl....Thrump

Comment

Oh well I don't have any Ridgid tools & at the rate may never have any.
                Sucking.....Whoosh....Yowl....Thrump

Comment

Douggage, I'm not sure if you're asking me or gator. You quoted gator, but asked me. Anyway, I agree with what you say about too many vague responses. I'm not sure anyone in this forum knows exactly what the complete agreement is or will be. Whatever they are doing, the tools are not being made by Ridgid anymore.

My point was that based on what we have heard from forum members is that orders are being handled by OrderTree.com (you posted that) and Ryobi is somehow involved in the warranties. Thus, some decisions have been made and nothing has been said to their most loyal customers. Just a little "heads up" about upcoming changes would have been nice.
                  Mark

Comment

MerkR -
                    Correct. Sorry, I was referring to gator's post. And yes, ordertree.com IS handling parts. called the parts # on the Ridgid site and got ordertree.com.
                    I placed an order for a dado insert for my 2424 there. A fairly crappy web site, but I did get my part in short order. $6.25 for shipping. Only way to find a Ridgid part is by knowing the part number beforehand. Also got an email from the Ridgid director of E-business, wondering how I found the ordertree.com web site. sheesh.

Comment

Douggage & MikeR -

The comment about 'licensing' comes directly out of their original press release:

_________________________________________________" Emerson has made the strategic business decision to discontinue the manufacture of bench top and stationary woodworking power tools and to work with The Home Depot on options to secure supply for Home Depot. Emerson has developed a program to license the RIDGID brand to top manufacturers to fulfill Home Depot's future requirements. Emerson remains fully committed to its RIDGID brand.

gator

Comment

Gator -

right you are. I stand corrected. But for me.. well, I just see too many holes in that statement of theirs, so they will just have to show me what they are going to do, or they could just answer some of the simple questions that have been asked of the here, without being vague or usning legal-speak. knowhatimean ?

Comment

Bob -
                          There have been some questions posted here. Will you please address them ? Thanks -

Comment

Sure makes me nervous hearing about Ordertree (who the he__ is that anyway?) and the warranty being handled by a different company. Why wouldn't Emerson still handle the parts they have in stock for their tools? Have they already shipped them to a third party for distribution? I understand handing off the warranty work, but who has it? Why can't you tell us that it's Ryobi? Are they just the interim handler until the deal is finalized? TALK TO US!

I'm sure I'm not the only nervous one. We read the statement you posted Bob, but it didn't tell us anything new. We'd like to hear directly from someone within IN THEIR OWN WORDS exactly what you know to be happening in the company.

All this secrecy and carefully worded statement stuff isn't gonig to help anyone feel confidence in the Ridgid brand name. With this many people on this and other forums, the negative word could be spread like wildfire and could be disastrous for the future of the name...it's already leaking out that things are up in the air. Of course, if that's not a concern of Emerson and you will have no monetary interest in the name after it's finalized and sold to whomever, then that's another story.
                            Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Ordertree (who the he__ is that anyway?)

Ordertree.com is Dixie Sales Company in Browns Summitt, NC. To quote from their web site, "One of America's largest providers of parts and equipment for the lawn and garden, power tool, and personal recreational vehicle industries."

Dave
                              "Don't Panic"
                              The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

Kelly -
                                I have placed an order with ordertree. If you call the parts number at Ridgid, you get Ordertree now.
                                They have a fairly low-end web site. It has the Ryobi logo, no Ridgid logo, poor navigational links, and without a part number, the search feature, well, it leaves a lot to be desired.
                                I tried to find blades for my Ridgid planer. Search on the part number and you can find them. Search on Description, using 'planer', and you get several planer blade links, but no Ridgid link.
                                Poor graphics as well.
                                On the plus side, my order was taken by a pleasant woman, and it arrived quickly. Shipping was a tad high IMHO though - $6.00+ if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X