No announcement yet.

file handles

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• file handles

this is probably a really stupid question but why are wood/metal files sold without handles?

this has always sort of puzzled me.

i end up making my own out of the backs of old dining set chair backs and legs.

Re: file handles

Me too!
    Can't wait for a reasonable explanation.
    Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Just a thought, and I do not know the real answer,
      but possibly when the country was mostly Agriculture orientated, one would just grab a corn cob and use as a handle, that is what my dad always used. and thus may it was to save or to cut the cost of the tool.

another possibility is there are what is called a filing machine that works some what like a jig saw in up side down in holder with a table, and thus a handle would not work in the machine,
      another type,
      still another one

and many tools at one time were filed not ground to sharpen, and you would put a file in a holder and it would index and file the next tooth,
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BHD; 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

that's pretty cool.