Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sawing 4/4 or 5/4 to 2/4

Novice woodworker here...

What is the best way to divide a 5/4 or 4/4 board up so that I can get 2/4 boards from it? The boards are about 6" and 8" wide.. Is it even possible with a table saw, or do I need to plane it down to 1/2 and create tons of waste?

Thanks,

bc

Re: Sawing 4/4 or 5/4 to 2/4

While technically it can be done on a TS I'm not sure it's worth the risk of injury. Band saw is what you use for this kind of job.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately I do not have a bandsaw and it is not in the budget right now as I just picked up a TS3660 and a thickness planer, and many other things.

The table saw method sounds risky, but it may be the only choice unless I want to remove 1/2 of stock in wood chips through the planer.

Thanks again,

bc

Comment

Wishing you good and safe results, but test on smaller pieces before you commit. Between wood warping/cupping, planing and re-sawing on a TS I'm not sure you will have enough to get two 1/2" boards out of one 4/4, or even 5/4.
        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
          I frequently re-saw up to 6" or 7" wide boards on the table saw.
          What I like to do is set the blade height just a hair under half the width of the board, make one pass, flip the board end for end, make second pass.
          This will leave you with a very thin connecting piece left between the two halves which are easily pried apart. Leaving this thin piece prevents the two halves from separating during re-sawing. Be sure to use push stick.
          This would be the way to do it on the Tablesaw, though, not the most safe procedure to be running on a tablesaw - it IS doable. just keep in mind that wood has internal tension, and once resawed those tensions might release, and cause the wood to twist/cup/bow and might cause it to bind against the blade = kickback or worse. just be cautious and try to think one step ahead in terms of "what would happen in case things go bad..."

that said - you won't be able to get 2 x 1/2" materials from a 5/4 due to the 1/8" saw kerf, and the need to plane the boards flat once resaws - but you could get 1 x 1/2" + 1 x 1/4" from it if you resaw not exactly in the middle.. either way this method would make it less wasteful of the material (as the alternative would indeed force you to plane the material all the way from 5/4 to 2/4 which would yield a ton of wasted material that could be used otherwise)

Be safe!

(now you have a good excuse to get a bandsaw in the future)

Comment

.....and make sure you have various push sticks handy because it's not the type of cut you want to stop and restart. I've resawn 5" boards a few times and I was a nervous wreck during the entire cut. Use a tall fence.

Comment

Working...
            X