Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What would you buy at Sears?

Originally posted by ronan View Post
    I wouldn't waste your money on craftsman power tools. They are junk in my opinion. Their hand tools are decent though. I've owned a few of their power tools and will never again buy one. Years ago when Emerson Electronics made them, they were great but the quality has since spiraled down the tubes.
    Your view is overly simplistic and overlooks the reality that some are pretty darn good, and only some are junk. It's kind of like labeling all Fords as junk based on an assessment of the '74 Pinto...that's was a lousy car by many people's standards, but it has nothing to do with a current Mustang. Sears offers tools to a huge market at varying price points and intended usages, and some of the current tools are very good.

Your statement says that these saws are junk, but I suspect you're not familiar with them (all are made by the same company making the current Ridgid R4511):
    Attachment Attachment Attachment

Your statement also says this these routers are junk...I'll bet you a whole bunch of Bosch 1617 owners will disagree with you.
    Attachment Attachment

The basic little $150 Craftsman plastic table saws are the same type of saws that are classified as junk regardless of the name that's on it, but their 22124 is terrific hobby saw that's nearly identical to the Steel City 35601. I've torn apart quite a few Emerson made contractor saws...they have similar guts to the current Ridgid line, and are functional saws once fitted with a decent fence, but they don't hold a candle to the current saws that replaced them.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but your opinion will be more credible if you base it on experience with individual tools as opposed to a broad base generalization based on a small non-representative few.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hewood; 04-24-2009, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Back in the late 60's and early 70's I purchased a number of Craftsman tools, both power and hand tools. As far as the power tools are concerned, I still have all of them and they work every bit as good today as they did when new. My 1974 Craftsman RAS is still my favorite power saw. It was made for Sears by Emerson Electric. All the rest of my hand-held power tools were made for Sears by Ryobi. They are still going strong and the only one that I consider to be flawed is the small router, which has a poorly designed collet assembly. Never could hold a shank very good. A shame really as I love the micrometer depth control much better than most of the modern depth adjustment types.

So what would I buy today? Well, probably quite a number of tools. I think their 9-, 12-, and 14-inch bandsaws are very well made. Likewise with a few of thier table saws. Today's RAS is more than twice what I paid for mine, and I confess that I like my 1974 cast iron column saw much better. But for the price, I don't think you'll find another RAS anywhere. I've looked at the Delta, but I hate the machining.

With hand tools, you really can't beat the lifetime, no questions asked warranty. There are of course a number of other so-called lifetime warranted hand tools out there, including a great "Tempo" set of screwdrivers tha a relative bought me several years ago. "Tempo"... ever hear of them? I didn't think so, and that's my point... a "lifetime warranty" doesn't do anybody any good if you can't find the company a year or so after the purchase!

Only problem I have with Craftsman is that the one-year power tool warranty is NOT at all competitive. Still, I've bought a couple of Craftsman compressors that have specifications that simply stood out from the crowd. My 33-gallon oil-less is about the noisiest beast anyone ever made, but it supplies much better CFM than the others at the time. I also recently purchased a little 2-gal lube unit that is perfect for driving my nailers. Less weight, smaller footprint, and much quieter than anything else that I've seen anywhere.

Bottom line, is that one shouldn't form a bias against Craftsman (or any brand for that matter), based on one or two instances. Surely Craftsman has some lower quality stuff in their line-up, but they also have some very good tools. I just do a lot of research before I take the plunge for anything.

CWS

Comment

DIE HARD work boots are reasonable priced,and oh so comfortable !

Wore Red Wing Irish Setters for years. Great boots,tired of paying all the $$ for them!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by ronan View Post
          I wouldn't waste your money on craftsman power tools. They are junk in my opinion. Their hand tools are decent though. I've owned a few of their power tools and will never again buy one. Years ago when Emerson Electronics made them, they were great but the quality has since spiraled down the tubes.
          Well, sorry, but I don't quite generalize Craftsman that much.
          Yes, some tools are junk.
          But I have one of the best air compressors (in its class)
          Also so you know, they sell some top line stuff, just check the catalog.
          You can get Freud, Kreg, Dewalt, etc... from Sears.
          And as I stated before, the newer routers are clearly a step towards top-line equipment (for its class), from the reviews I am seeing.
          And, I don't think I will pass on them. Looking on getting their 4pc kit (which has their trim router, a 2 1/4 motor, plunge, fixed, & D bases.)
          And I am really debating their Pro Band saws (not the ones you see in the stores) I am looking at a 18" Metal/Wood band saw at around 1300.00

However, by not shopping smart there (when you have had a few), is not always a good thing. Because yes, they do carry some junk (you are better off cataloging it).

Anyhow thanks again for all the responses, you ALL have given me more choices than I care to use. LOL.
          I can now scratch off a Plate Joiner that I had been meaning to get (if you have seen my other post) Yeah, the Dewalt (plate joiner) NEW for 60.00 was hard to pass on.

Comment

Working...
          X