X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you buy at Sears?

Ok, so long story sgort, I had an issue with a tool.
    And was compensated for that tool.
    So I now have 2 gift cards worth a total of $250.00 (1=100 and 1=150)

Craftsman for most part, is not considered the Pro tool choice for woodworkers (that I see).
    (unless you buy their very best, and even then in reviews they score lower than other brands that are cheaper).

However, I am in need of some tools. A band saw, a miter saw, a Incra setup, etc...

I am currently looking at one of their Band Saws (catalog only model) Model #22450.
    This one here - (for 1399.00) http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...n+Professional
    It is a metal/wodd band saw, which suite me fine, I use to work for an industrial company and I had to fabricate all the time (so making brackets, etc.. is worth it to me). Also at 280 pounds, it should be rather stable (little vibration)

But I also have my eye on their best miter saw, this one - (600.00+)http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ame=Miter+Saws
    But this saw has not gotten the best reviews???
    Anyone with exp. on this saw?

Any other ideas that you fellows know of (good deals) at Sears?
    Or should I just pawn off these gift certificates, maybe lose 15.00 btu get cash and go elsewhere?
    That would be easy to do, as most women love shopping at Sears, so telling them they can save an extra 15.00 bby buying my gift cert. may be worth it to them.

Thoughts?????
    Basically a what would you do with $250.00 at Sears question? (add to it and get something big, cut your loss and get something small, etc...)
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 04-12-2009, 11:03 AM. Reason: Housekeeping

Re: What wood you buy at Sears?

any craftsman hand tool, hands down I have had nothing but great luck with the price vs. quality

as far as power tools the sears by me has any and all brands of power tool, and they offer a price matching guarentee as well, so you can price it at the depot and sears will match it

Comment

When you buy smaller you can get other brands.

I picked up a Porter Cable 3X21 belt sander for $75 on clearance.

They probably carry some quality blades for various saws. JMHO.

$250 is kind of "no man's land". A lot for smaller tools, but not enough for bigger tools. I'm sure I'd be able to get rid of it pretty quickly though

Comment

I would go hand tools, (if needed), Wrench's, screwdrivers, or similar, (non electric),
        accessories and supplies, blades, bits, router bits, taps things on that line,
        stands, is a possibility or storage tool boxes, or similar,

Those are the type of things I would buy at sears, unless it not branded, and there reselling some one else's tools, then I may consider some electric tools,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

There really are some great Craftsman tools, but they're made from an ever change list of suppliers so you really need to evaluate each one on it's own merits...it's tough to make generalized assumptions that are useful and current. I would take most reviews very lightly (pro or con) unless you find a recurring issue mentioned.

AFAIK, Richen Enterprises (Rikon) makes at least some of their bandsaws, but I'm not sure if they make the 18". Steel City's Orion subsidiary makes quite a few of their stationary machines like their bigger table saws, jointer, and DPs. The last I knew, TTI/Ryobi made their miter saws, but don't know if they make the particular model you linked....$600 is big bucks for a slider IMO. Their new routers are getting generally positive comments, and some of their saw blades appear to be made by Freud and are comparable to the Freud TK Avanti series.

I think I'd evaluate what you need and really want, and see if they have something good that you're interested in. If not, I'd convert the gift cards to cash.

Good luck!

Comment

take your pick.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/v_10153_12605_Tools

Vince

i wonder why sears doesn't sell RIDGID?

Last edited by Vince the Plumber; 04-11-2009, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
              Their new routers are getting generally positive comments, and some of their saw blades appear to be made by Freud and are comparable to the Freud TK Avanti series.
              I was wondering about that, the tool I had issues with, was one of their older routers.
              I was curious on their new routers, but have not seen many reviews (well, not many Pro reviews)
              Yeah, I'm pretty sure their Pro blades are similar as Freud (you can see the made in Italy stamped on them) they don't look like punch out arbors and such.

As far as hand tools, wrenches, ratchets, sockets, files, clamps, etc.. I am good on, as I have around 15K in tools from mechanic days. (filling up 3 tool boxes)

Kinda figured the amount was, as someone stated, 'no mans land'.
              May add to it, as my brother has a 100.00 gift cert. he may part with for 80.00
              So at that point, I would have 350.00 in gift certificates. (still in a waivering area).

Someone mentioned the miter saw as being expensive at 600.00 but this is about what most brands charge for their higher lines (Dewalt, Hitachi, Milwaukee, etc..)
              But I agree, they charge more for it than a good table saw (with much more material into it).
              Not sure if I read it right, but I saw a thread where the fellow got the Pro saw (12" slider) claiming it was on sale for around 240ish. (man, I wish I had bought then).

Anyhow, thanks a bunch for the ideas fellows. Great work.

EDIT:: Oh, forgot to mention. I have a Craftsman drill press, that works great (kinda pain to change speeds, but otherwise it is great)
              Last edited by BCR; 04-11-2009, 11:52 PM.

Comment

I bought a craftsman 12 inch Band Saw on sale for $3oo including free shipping to local store. I had to pick up.

The saw works great. Set up was easy with few adjustments. Reviews on the saw were very positive.

I would research any Craftsman tools before purchasing.

Don233

Comment

Hand tools and I purchased a band saw. The band saw has to be made by Rikon. Looks exactly the same with the same features as the Rikon saws. Many extras on the Craftsman band saw that you don't find on Delta, Ridgid, etc... Like roller bearing guides, wheel brush, X large cast table, fence, etc...
                  Love mine.

Comment

Re: What would you buy at Sears?

Last time I was in Sears, they had a small but nice selection of Footprint hand tools. I haven't been able to get my mind off them since.

Comment

Ok, well was looking at a 13" planer. (in catalog) and I went to click buy on-line, but NO luck.
                      They don't carry it, yet I can find a review on it.
                      It is rated #2 on a list of about 10 planers, with only the Dewault 735 coming ahead of it.
                      But the digital display, seems to work well. And could be a time saver.
                      At 20% off, it should come to around what I want to spend.... (439.00) (or rather, willing to spend)
                      But no luck.

Will have to go in store.....
                      (just rambling)

Comment

I was wondering about that, the tool I had issues with, was one of their older routers.
                        Me too. Had to get 3 routers before I finally got a good one.
                        Tools and More

Comment

Originally posted by wiz View Post
                          Me too. Had to get 3 routers before I finally got a good one.
                          So which one did you end up with, being good?
                          I was looking at some of their new Pro routers, with soft start and VS, they look decent.

Comment

How about something nice for the wife, and then bask in the glow of knowing you have done a good thing?

Comment

I wouldn't waste your money on craftsman power tools. They are junk in my opinion. Their hand tools are decent though. I've owned a few of their power tools and will never again buy one. Years ago when Emerson Electronics made them, they were great but the quality has since spiraled down the tubes.

Comment

Working...
                              X