X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2424 purchasing experience

I bought a TS2424 at the local HD yesterday and couldn’t be happier with the saw. The service at HD was another matter entirely. The employee who had to get the saw down from the overhead storage area acted like doing so was a great inconvenience. Then I was out the door and ready to load the saw in the truck before I realized I didn’t have the rail set for the fence. I was reading the box while waiting for help in getting my saw into the truck when I noticed the box labeled ‘box 1 of 2’. I went to the Ridgid display area and picked up a box with the rails labeled ‘2 of 2’ and carried it out, just waiting for an alarm to go off. It didn’t, and I left without incident but was not favorably impressed with HD service.

I started assembling the saw yesterday and was impressed with how sturdy it is built. I have a Jet ShopLine direct drive tablesaw and knew I was upgrading but didn’t really appreciate just how much until I had the two saws side-by-side. We’re talking daylight and dark! It’s easy to see how my cuts will be more precise due to many factors. The fence is far superior, the table is much larger, the cast iron extensions will not sag or change every time someone looks at them, and the power is greater. I didn’t ever find the assembly video everyone has mentioned so I don’t know what gives with that. I also haven’t been able yet to get the rubber feet adjusted so that the saw will move freely with them up but stay firmly planted with the saw lowered. Have any of you had problems with this?

Once again, just wanted to let everyone know how happy I was with the saw. I agonized for quite some time over whether to buy the Ridgid, Jet, Delta, etc… and was persuaded to purchase the 2424 based upon posts I read on this forum. Thanks for the info.

Congrats' on the new saw----Rigid has continued to make great improvements on this saw, from when they built it under the Craftsman name---even without the improvements---mine is 13 years old and still going strong---enjoy! [img]smile.gif[/img]

As to HD----well, you're not the first nor probably the last person to find minimal help at HD. Of course, I'd seriously doubt you'd find any better assistance if the Emerson tools were still being sold at Sears---there's just an overall lack of retail knowledge/service at large chain stores. I can live with it---what's really bad is when you get the same uncaring attitude from your doctor, who's turned his/her office into a production line, where you have to ask for any tests, etc.---check-up?? what's that?

Dave
    Dave

Comment

Everett,

I had the same problem with my assembly. See the fix below. What I found was that there was not enough range of motion from the engaged position to the unengaged position of the foot pedal. This was caused by the bolts that hold the Herc-u-lift to the leg brackets being too tight.

[ 05-22-2002, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Ivan ]

Comment

Ivan,

Actually wheels of the Herc-U-Lift should touch the ground all the time. I imagine the you have the bolts that mount the frames to the corner brackets tight...they should be loose, the nut only needs to be on as far as it takes to hold it on the bolt. Loosen the corner bolts and I'll bet you find the whole system works better.

Everett,

Glad to hear you went with the RIDGID!!! As far as the leveling feet go, shorten them all the way up into the legs at first. Then if you need to lengthen one or two a bit you can.

Jake

Comment

Jake,

I would have thought having the screws loose enough would do the trick. I tried the bolt loosening idea before but it did not work for me (I did have it too tight initially). The upper and lower assemblies did not want to flex enough to allow the wheels to move up and let the weight of the table saw to be put on the legs. After I pulled up on the assemblies, then the wheels came up enough. I also tried adjusting the leveling feet. I found the amount of travel of the Herc-u-lift from the pedal engaged to disengaged was very little until I did the adjustment. I hope the standard install works for most people.

Comment

Jake,
            I tightened the hell out of the braces that bolt up inside the legs thinking this would add rigidity and make everything more stable. I'll try loosening off and see how things go. thanks for the input.

Ivan,
            if loosening off the leg brackets doesn't work I might just try your fix. There doesn't seem to be more than about 1/4" lift when I engage the Herculift. thanks

Comment

Everett,

There isn't going to be much room between the the feet of the platform and the floor when the saw is engaged up on the casters. If the floor has any slight variations in height you may notice some slight dragging of the rubber platform feet when moving the saw around. What I did was remove the wheels and add a washer between the wheels and the lift assembly. This gave me just enough extra lift so the feet of the platform don't catch on my floor on the high spots.

Gregg

Comment

Sorry that you guys ars having a problem there. There must be something that you have missed because mine on the 2412 works like a charm and I have not had to make any adjustments, I would suggest that you recheck your assembly or make adjustments as needed. dd

Comment

Gregg's idea sounds like a great fix in situations where there are sizeable differences in floor elevations you'll be rolling the saw over. Jake's suggestion that I loosen off of the 4 bolts running perpendicular to the leg braces worked like a charm for me. I get much better lift and the saw sits down like a rock when I release the lift. It also blew me away when I finally plugged it in (tonight) and fired it up. I've become accustomed to the high-pitched whine of a universal motor and found it amazing that a larger, more powerful saw could be so much quiter. Thanks everybody for your help.
                  Everett

Comment

Jake,

You were correct in your analysis. I further loosened the long bolts that connected the Herc-u-lift assembly to the table saw leg and I was able to get the range of lift I needed. I admit that even as careful I was in the assembly of the saw, the confusion has been in how the instructions are read. The instructions says throughout the Herc-u-lift assembly to "loosely assemble at this time." When the Herc-u-lift is assembled to the legs it says "tighten the lock nuts until flush with the bottom of the screw. The screw should freely pivot side to side." I should have left the screws and nuts like this. However, the next step says "tighten all hardware at this time...". I thought that meant all the hardware but apparently the long screws were not included. Could you have this clarified on future instruction manuals? It is obvious now from the design of the bolts and assemblies that they are designed to have the bolts loose allowing them to pivot freely giving us the play we need. Thank you for your great support.

Comment

Jake,
                      Ivan and I had the same experience with the instructions. There should be special mention in the instructions to tighten all the lift parts 'with the exception of' the 4 bolts running perpendicular to the leg brace brackets. Once again, your fix worked great but I messed around about an hour trying to get the Herculift to work before you made me aware of the bolts being too tight.
                      Everett

Comment

I have to admit, I had the same confusion.
                        Every project I start is a gamble.

Comment

So noted...

Comment

Working...
                          X