X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R4511 Low Profile Riving Knife - homemade

all those that I've seen posted mentioned they had to file down the SC knives to fit into the quick clamp on the ridgid saw. but I haven't heard of how it then performed, I assume it worked ok.

I just posted giving people another possibility, that for some, might be a faster/cheaper/better/more custom fit option

if anyone has experience with the SC knives - please post, and let us learn from that as well.

Comment

Has anyone ever verified that the knives for the SC 35900 saw are the same as recommended for the SC 35920 (which is the one more similar to the R4511)?

They probably are, but since I have not been able to obtain a copy of the 35920 manual I don't know.

Tom

Comment

Some of you may find this review of various riving knives by Fine Woodworking useful. Now it's posted on Delta's web site so no doubt it shows Delta's riving knife in a favorable light, but just the same there is information to be gained on the various approaches to implementing the UL's riving knife requirement.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/unis...ving_knife.pdf
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Tried to order the SC riving knives from Woodcraft last week. Was advised this week by Woodcraft that SC is 'out of stock' on the knives and they could not even provide a back-order shipment date for them. Damnit!

Big G

Comment

Originally posted by Big G View Post
            Tried to order the SC riving knives from Woodcraft last week. Was advised this week by Woodcraft that SC is 'out of stock' on the knives and they could not even provide a back-order shipment date for them. Damnit!

Big G
            What is the pricing on the riving knives? Thanks.

Comment

I just recieved a very well made riving knife from Lee http://www.leestyron.com/default.php

The blade is beatifully made from 0.090 steel powder coated and seems to fit perfect. I haven't assembled my new R4511 yet but I dropped in the knife to check and it slipped right in with no adjustments just a firm as the stock guard assembly. Lee was very helpful assuring me his design would fit before I ordered. I got lucky he had one in his shop otherwise it's probably about a 2 week que to be delivered. The price was $32 delivered and I am very happy. Can't wait to assemble the saw and try it all out.

Photos of the Knife

Ed
              Last edited by Edwood; 05-10-2009, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpLev View Post
                Most Certainly this is a concern!

I haven't had that issue at all, I use a Forrest WWII blade, and my 1/8" aluminum knife fits without the need to loosen the bolts in the mount. the 2 options you referred to (loosening bolts, and filing the knife) are the 2 ways to handle this each with it's own results. ultimately what you want to have is a knife that aligns with the blade you're using - lower your stance, and look at the blade from the front- you should NOT see the riving knife extruding either to it's left, nor right - if you do, your material and blade have different thicknesses - and are NOT SAFE TO USE in that way! are you using a thin keft blade? you should match the thickness of your knife to the blade you're using.

I'm able to use the 1/8" material for both my WWII blade, and also the factory supplied (RIDGID) blade that came with the saw (I use that one for plastics, and other things that I don't care to run by my WWII blade).

See this info from DeWalt on riving knives, as it seems to disagree with you where it provides that the thickness of the knife should be greater than that of the blade but less than that of the kerf. http://www.dewalt.com/DWAssets/engli..._selection.pdf

Comment

It makes sense for the knife to be thicker than the blade but thinner than the kerf. Mine is made out of 0.1" thick aluminum. Thus far, I have not any problem.

Comment

Just asking do any of you who have a saw with the knife, think this is an improvement?

(now I have not used a new saw, but any saw I ever used in the past, with a splitter or a knife on it seemed to me to be more dangerous than one with out).
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                    X