X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Low Profile Riving Knife - homemade

Finally nailed that one down, just took a while to find the material.

I ended up getting 1/8" 6063 aluminum plate 6"x12" (make 2 knives) and after making several templates out of masonite and making sure I got the right shape/height, and dimensions, I transfered that to the aluminum plate using a dremel type tool and some file/sandpaper for finishing the edges.

fits PERFECTLY! I made it a bit closer to the blade than the original splitter, and it's 1 tooth lower than the blade's height.
    Attached Files

Re: R4511 Low Profile Riving Knife - homemade

really, really nice execution of a very important piece of safety equipment. looks almost factory original. hope you enjoy many hours of trouble free, safe woodworking.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Any chance you could trace the knife and then scan the trace to a pdf so others could use it as a pattern? I'm waiting on my 4511 to be delivered, and would love to put this riving knife on. Thanks a bunch.

Joe

Comment

thats a good idea!

I'll scan the pattern, and upload the PDF tomorrow for anyone that might be interested.

Comment

here are a PDF, and a smaller JPEG version (jpeg not to scale, just for viewing purposes) of the riving knife I have made.

notice there are 2 cut lines on the top edge of the knife. the upper one is the blade height (~) and the lower one is ~1/8" lower than the blade height which is MY final height of the knife.

Also I marked the lower part of the knife where I have it slightly beveled to make it easier to slide it in and out of the saw.

for scale purposes - the lower part of the knife should be 1 7/16" wide (also marked on the template.

hope this helps.

If anybody doesn't have the means to get the material and make it yourself. I put mine (I made 2) on eBay:Low Profile Knife for Ridgid R4511
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for going to the trouble to help. Nice job!

Comment

I'm glad I could help. I know I could use any ideas for improvements myself, so I'm glad I have something to share with everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpLev View Post
                  Finally nailed that one down, just took a while to find the material.

I ended up getting 1/8" 6063 aluminum plate 6"x12" (make 2 knives) and after making several templates out of masonite and making sure I got the right shape/height, and dimensions, I transfered that to the aluminum plate using a dremel type tool and some file/sandpaper for finishing the edges.

fits PERFECTLY! I made it a bit closer to the blade than the original splitter, and it's 1 tooth lower than the blade's height.
                  PurpLev

I took your drawing and made a digital copy which I took to a friend with a CNC router to make one for me. The OEM riving knife is .09" or 2.3mm thick and I used the 1/8" (.125") aluminum like you did. I couldn't get my knife to fit in the clamp with the quick release but I could get it to fit if I loosened the four allen screws holding the quick release clamp in place. I made a cut but found that the increased thickness of my knife caused the wood to bind between the fence and my new riving knife. I can file down the knife to fit in the quick release clamp but I am concerned about safety of the increased thickness of my 1/8" knife over the OEM one even if I can get it centered behind the blade. Have you had any issues with this?

Comment

Originally posted by Sprocketeer View Post
                    PurpLev

I took your drawing and made a digital copy which I took to a friend with a CNC router to make one for me. The OEM riving knife is .09" or 2.3mm thick and I used the 1/8" (.125") aluminum like you did. I couldn't get my knife to fit in the clamp with the quick release but I could get it to fit if I loosened the four allen screws holding the quick release clamp in place. I made a cut but found that the increased thickness of my knife caused the wood to bind between the fence and my new riving knife. I can file down the knife to fit in the quick release clamp but I am concerned about safety of the increased thickness of my 1/8" knife over the OEM one even if I can get it centered behind the blade. Have you had any issues with this?
                    Most Certainly this is a concern!

I haven't had that issue at all, I use a Forrest WWII blade, and my 1/8" aluminum knife fits without the need to loosen the bolts in the mount. the 2 options you referred to (loosening bolts, and filing the knife) are the 2 ways to handle this each with it's own results. ultimately what you want to have is a knife that aligns with the blade you're using - lower your stance, and look at the blade from the front- you should NOT see the riving knife extruding either to it's left, nor right - if you do, your material and blade have different thicknesses - and are NOT SAFE TO USE in that way! are you using a thin keft blade? you should match the thickness of your knife to the blade you're using.

I'm able to use the 1/8" material for both my WWII blade, and also the factory supplied (RIDGID) blade that came with the saw (I use that one for plastics, and other things that I don't care to run by my WWII blade).

Comment

I would not recommned the use of 1/8" material to make a Riving knife for use with the blade supplied with the R4511.

In my opinion that would be too wide for the supplied blade, which is a thin kerf, .100 width blade. This is why the R4511 supplied splitter is .090 thick...to allow a little clearance so that the splitter doesn't act as a "spreader".

Comment

Thanks Tom for the info, as this splitter is all about safety. proper material, and usage is also crucial.

I have been using this with a forrest WWII blade originally, but I am also using this with the factory supplied blade (ridgid). and when sighting at the blade from the front, it DOES seem to be completely covering the 1/8" material on both sides. maybe I'm lucky? - point is- make sure that whatever material you choose to use, that it's thinner than the saw blade you're using it with.

to repeat myself -this is a full kerf 1/8" riving knife, not a thin-kerf. If you'll see in my template, the front of the knife is beveled to make the leading edge even narrower than the 1/8" kerf (in case the wood binds in)

Comment

The Riving knifes supplied by Steel City are 2.5mm (.098"") and 3mm (0.118") thick. See Product Manual at this web site:

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...12&tool=35900G

This Manual also has some very helpfull setup & calibration information. The Ridgid and Steel City Saws are indentical in the inside.

Comment

Thanks! There's some great stuff there. I've downloaded a copy, and I'll be hunting that #SC10150 2.5 mm riving knife.
                            De Colores,
                            Dow
                            Boerne, TX

Comment

Didn't somebody try the Steel City riving knives? Do you recall what results they had?
                              De Colores,
                              Dow
                              Boerne, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X