Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with box/tray project

I'm trying to build a box similar to this one:

I would like to construct it without using nails or mechanical fasteners. I was planning on attaching the bottom with a dado joint. I was thinking about using a spline and kerf system for the mitered corners. The box needs to be pretty strong, so I was hoping for some help. Is this the best system to use for someone only using glue and cuts?

Type of wood:
    1X6 select pine (actual size 3/4" X 5 1/2")

I also have a few questions about the cuts. How deep should the dado cut be in a 3/4" piece of wood? The bottom will be 3/8" thick (dado cut 3/8"). Should I cut into the sides 1/4"?

What type of wood should I use for the spline? What thickness should the spline be?

Re: help with box/tray project

If you are not up to using dove tails this drawer lock bit works well.
    I usually cut the dados 1/2 the thickness of the wood. I would also use plywood for the drawer bottom. Plywood is more dimensionally stable and will not require as much of a gap to allow for expansion. A drop of glue in the middle on the long sides of the drawer bottom will keep the panel from rattling and still allow for the sides to expand

Comment

It is actually just going to be a box and not a drawer. I am planning on using 11/32" plywood for the bottom. What are your thoughts on just gluing the miter joints with no spline? I was going to glue the bottom plywood in the dado cuts, but I guess this will cause problems.

Comment

Do you have a biscuit jointer? You could drop in a #0 biscuit in each miter corner to strengthen and help allign the corners. Gluing the bottom all the way around can cause the sides to split with the natural movement of wood.

Comment

Working...
        X