X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner in need of advice!

I'm very new to woodworking and am beginning a mind boggling journey into building drums. (drum sets, snare, toms, bass, etc.) I have a raw shell that I needed to be a 1/4 in shorter and in my impatience (and excitement to use some rollers my room mate and I purchased and rigged up to turn shells) I set the fence to an 1/8 originally wanting a practice run, not thinking that, duh, too much pressure and I'm digging into the fence. That's exactly what happened and I now feel dumb as ever. I'm assuming I need to replace the fence since the now circular indention will compromise true alignment. Am I right by assuming this? Any advice is appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: Beginner in need of advice!

If the fence is still true add a sacrafical fence of MDF or plywood to the aluminum fence.

Comment

Thank you so much to both of you. I realize I've made a rookie mistake and you're helpfulness is greatly appreciated! I actually just re-cut that same shell, (after sanding down the imperfections) since it was just a practice shell, and the cut was clean. I still want to try and fill that unsightly gouge as well.

Comment

and* sanded down slight imperfections- not after.

Comment

You're not the only one to do something like that...

Do you still have the 3 extra bolts that came with your saw? I use those to make a sacrificial fence from a piece of 3/4" plywood scrap. I always use that (now) when I'm making thin cuts. Take the scrap and mark the center height of the bolt channel on the side of the fence. Then make 3 holes through the ply, one at each end and one roughly in the middle. On the blade side of the holes, countersink a bigger hole deep enough to bury the nut for the bolts. The sacrificial fence comes in handy!! I use it when I'm making my initial cuts into the ZCI's. It helps hold down the ZCI, and I've got some insurance I won't cut into the fence itself.

Good luck in the future! I hope you post some pics of the drum-building process. Sounds like a great project.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

You also learned that thin kerf blades will warp under side pressure. If your set-up is putting sideways pressure on the blade, you need to change it. Side pressure can cause all sorts of dangers to both you and the machine.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

your fence dosnt look too bad just a nick is all. next time use some 3/4 on the fence as a sacrificial fence just in case.

Also umm how thick are there drums? looks like you had you blade all the way up. not good next time drop the blade so its 1/2" to 1" above the thicknes of the material your going to cut. youll get much better results.

Comment

Ok, this was a mistake, yes a true rookie mistake. However I wouldn't beat myself up over it. I don't think there's a woodworker out there that hasn't made a mistake, some are just bigger then others ( And we all know who we are )...

I think, that just because a woodworker can cut a straight line, or build a perfect box, is a true woodworker ( But it certainly helps ). I think a true woodworker is one that can fix there mistakes, and learn from them, and one day laugh at those mistakes.

I've been working with wood for over 20 years, and believe me I've made more then my share of those damn things ( mistakes ), only some of mine could have cost ( African black Walnut ) me the hole project. Thank god for all my teachers that I've had in my time.

So Paul A., you have had some really good ideas from the folks on this form, so now it's time to fix, learn, and yes laugh at this ( Rookie ) mistake.

As you continue working with the best hobby in the world, just remember, this probably won't be your last mistake, only the beginning of all the great project your distend to work on.

Always remember, first and foremost in all your ventures...

Sincerely
                sirwoodchuck

Comment

Wow, I was a little reluctant to come to a forum (embarrassed and thought people would poke fun/judge) but then thought "who cares what people think, I'm learning and that's the best piece of the pie to be thinking about" and you all are a big help!
                  Thank you sirwoodchuck, VASandy and Arthur96-that sounds like a rad ideas and I will def take yalls advice! The blade was far up because I had the shell resting on some rollers we rigged up to turn it. It's pretty high, but the cut was just above the surface of the wood. Unfortunately we first purchased crap rollers leading us to have crap cuts, we now have some much better rockler rollers that are doing us well. Once I get think kinks out with this practice shell I'm going to start on my personal drum set, I will post picture of my progress and be looking forward to comments and more advice!

Comment

I can't see the gouge causing much problem because it is high on the fence. Most wood you will be cutting will probably be less than 1" thick and the gouge looks higher than that. Even thicker wood would be guided by the undamaged bottom of the fence. If it were me, I would just make sure there was no high spots that could scratch the wood as it slid along the fence.

Comment

Working...
                    X