I need dust collection...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need dust collection...

But I don't have room for a big cyclone type system. I'm thinking a big, heavy duty shot vac system with a hose to connect to various tools as I use them. I know some of you have traveled this road before, and I would love to hear what you have learned from your experiences.

I'm talking table saws, jointers, band saws, miter saws, etc. Tell me what your solutions was.

Re: I need dust collection...

my ridgid shop vac does fine for me. table saw,miter saw,band saw and the occasional shop cleaning. now if i could just find some one to show me how to use it!

Comment

I tried to rely on a shop vac centric system for a long time.
      Here's the evolution:
      - Shop vac alone: Filter clogs up in no time and you lose suction and spend time cleaning a shop vac that's not even yet full.
      - Shop vac, upgraded the filter to a Cleanstream. Easier to clean, but still the same problem with premature work to maintain suction.
      - Added a Clear-Vue mini-cyclone to the equation, which I attached to the top of a 20 gallon metal trash can. This worked GREAT, and continues to work great. I empty the can at least 1-2 times a month. I clean the filter once every 4-6 months. It's AMAZING. I hooked up a 2.5" dust collection network throughout my shop (it's small.. 12x16, with only 73" ceilings!) and use it for *most* of my machines and general cleanup.
      Only draw-back: The rate at which chips and shavings are produced by a jointer and especially a planer overwhelm the cyclone and shop vac combo, causing clogs and this in turn clogs my planer, or produces a big mess with the jointer. Both result in a very poor result on the workpiece.

So, I picked up a portable dust collector from Harbor Freight.. It's their $100-ish jobbie that's green... not the red POS. I added a 1 micron felt filter bag from Penn State, and this is my dedicated jointer/planer/lathe dust collector. The bag has a little window in it, so I can see when it fills up, which is handy.
      All told that was like $600 on dust collection experimenting... Although I'm satisfied with my current setup, I would prefer a full sized 2hp dedicated monster with a canister, for that price! But I don't have room.

Now, you said you're short on space and need it for a bunch of different machines. I'd suggest you skip the shop vac approach and think about one of the portable dust collection units, similar to this one. Either the HF green jobbie; or the Rockler model they recently came out with, or the Craftsman model (comes with a big-gulp hood and support stand, I think)... or something along those lines. JET recently came out with their DC-500, which is a fairly intriguing Mini-Me upright dust collector. Also, Rikon offers a "full size" (mini, actually) dust collector, that has a very confined footprint and is only about 50" tall.

Good luck, and don't neglect this incredibly important aspect of woodworking: keeping the fruits of your efforts OUT of your lungs.

Comment

hang in there..I just ordered the JET DC-500 via amazon.com.
        I expect here around 4-21-2009, it just shipped.
        I'll write up a review as soon as I get it working.

My needs sound similar to yours. My criteria though is noise level and power demands!
        The DC-500 is around 4.5amps and 65db The thing is rated at 550cfm and that's at the motor. I suspect with 5-7feet of 4" hose and no 90 degree bends I'll see around 500cfm at the table saw. This should be just enough to grab the sawdust.

I will use it mainly for the JET table saw, Delta table saw.
        I find my 16 gallon Ridgid Vac does just fine with my miter saw, drill press, band saw,
        table top joiner etc.

I have a DeWALT planer and I simply attach the shroud over a trash can and the debris is
        blown directly into it without any issues.

Cactus Man

Comment

I have the Ridgid 2.5 clear plastic pipe system - attached to every machine in my shop - and each one has a blast gate. Works great with a heavy duty Ridgid 16 gallon vacuum system. I also have a separator before the vacuum - to collect all of the big stuff. Of course I have a Jet filtration system in the ceiling to collect all of the very fine saw dust.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Larrysch; 04-15-2009, 01:09 AM.

Comment

I tried the shop vac approach and had some sucess, but found I spent too much time connecting and emptying the dust. I bought a 2 1/2 hp Grizzley. Does not really take up that much room, but does require a 220 outlet. I put on a 10' x 4" hose and and a 10' x 2" hose with shut off's at the splitter and quick release connectors on the tool end. I use the 4" hose for table saw, bandsaw and the 2" for my drum, spindle, belt sanders and drill press Drill press. I have all my tools on mobile bases and roll them close enough to the dust collector to make the connection.
            I now use my shop vac to pick up anything the dust collector does not get.
            You can look on craigslist.com (if near a metropolitan area) and probably find a dust collector pretty reasonable if on a tight budget.
            Bottom line is that I too do not have a lot of room, but the stationary footprint of the dust collector is more then justified. Hope this helps.
            Attached Files

Comment

like larrysch, i have a 2 1/2" dust collection system for my shop, along with a delta ap-400 dust collector (1hp, 650 cfm) that i got on clearance at lowes. the 2 1/2" DC system is powered by a large craftsman shop vac with a separator between it and the dust collection network employing a thien baffle . i strongly recommend a separator with a thien baffle; you wont believe how well it works with a shop vac and it can usually be assembled much more reasonably than commercially available shop vac cyclones. info on the baffle is available here:

http://www.cgallery.com/smf/

depending on the effectiveness of the dust control at the tool, you may be able to get away with the shop vac only. however, the openness of most contractor saws, and the volume and poor routing of shavings and dust in a jointer, usually call for some form of dedicated dust collector for those tools. if you are considering a 4" dust collection network, you will probably need at least a 1200 cfm DC. lots more on that at the site linked above. good luck
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

if you plan to use a planer and jointer - then a shop vac just won't cut it- you'll need something with a higher CFM to handle that amount of chips coming in from those 2 machines. table saw - you might be able to get by with a shop vac, but better off with a dust collector.

I recommend getting a portable dust collector - canister type (bag types are usually not good with filtering small particles ), and have it connected to each machine as you use it - or plump it with some 4" or better 6" pipes and keep it stationary as long as the pipe runs are short.

Comment

I tried the shop vac, thing for a while, and it just wasn't working for me. I then went to the Delta AP 400, 1hp, 650 CFM. That manchine is good, however it's only good for 1 small manchine at a time.

When i bought my Woodmaster drumsander they had a special on ShopFox 2hp, 1550 CFMs. dust colloectors. So with that, i bought some 4" PVC drain pipe, 1/8" and 1/4" elbows, "y" and some 4" to 6" adapters, and lets not forget a ton of copper wire from the depot. I also bought blast gates and 4"X10' flex hose ( that in the winter my two German Shepards think it's some kind of cool toy to play with ) from WoodCraft.

So after you collect all of this, you'll almost be ready to start putting your system together, you would only have one step left to do before you start .

The next step is the most important, That's set down and make your plan. Figure out exactly what, were, and how you will put all this together . You can go to Americanwoodworker.com, woodsmith.com and woodcraft.com for some ideas.

I hope this helps, and good luck on your venture...

sirwoodchuck

Comment

I just ordered the Steel City 1 HP dust collector from Woodcraft. It is on sale for $229 with free shipping. It has a 1 micron filter bag included. I think it is a good deal. Red
                    Red

Comment

cactus:
                      Great.... I'm just wondering, do you already have a dust collection system set up?

Also keep in mind that your 1 Hp collector is a very good machine, although you may find that you'll grow out of it at one point or another. It just depends on how many tools you have, and or you Will get in the future.

Also keep in mind that a 1 HP collector is a one tool at a time machine...

sirwoodchuck

Comment

I have looked into this extensively. The 2 best options are the Harbor Freight 2 HP dust collector or the Delta 50-760 1.5 HP collector. The total foot print is not too large. They both will produce enough HP for a small hobby shop and most important of all will catch the super fine particles that the smaller units have no chance of catching. Of course there is much more information about this subject than meets the eye. My Delta 50-760 is being shipped right now from toolking.com. This unit has won many awards and will run on 110v.

Comment

I have received my JET DC-500 dust collector. Setting it up took minutes!
                          The 4" hose that came with the unit is crap! toss it and buy some good 4" hose.
                          I found some [sort of] clear 4"x10' hose at woodworker's source for a reasonably good price.

I'm only using around 6 feet of hose. Remember, the more hose and couplings the more loss in suction will occur.

This is a 1/2hp unit and is about 500cfm [at the motor]. My needs dictated a low noise level and minimal current draw. This is around 65db [very quiet] and around 4.5 amps.

I have a JET 10" contractor's saw I had to use some cardboard to enclose the rear where the motor and pulley are mounted. Without enclosing the rear the DC-500 is impotent.

I also have a DELTA 10" contractor's saw with a direct drive motor. This saw has no bottom and the four sides are enclosed. I made "cage" to capture the saw dust and then cut a 4" opening for the dust hose. This saw has a dedicated dado blade installed.

I then cut some materials to see if my investment in a dust collector was worthwhile.
                          The DC-500 did capture around 85% of the sawdust generated by the saws.

I find my Ridgid 16 gal wet/dry vacuum [wd1660] does a better job with my drill press, band saw, miter saw, planer. But then I already knew this and only wanted better dust collection for my table saws.

If I did not have a limitation of AC power in my work shop I'd go to a 1 1/2 or 2 HP dust collector. If I had a larger area or had the ability to remotely install the dust collector to eliminate shop noise I'd go with a larger unit.

The DC-500 is very very limited in what it can do. But, I think in my specific situation this unit may be OK.

Cactus Man
                          Last edited by cactusman; 04-22-2009, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I just picked up the JDS system at woodcraft, and will enclose my Rigid TS3650 this week, however had I not been stepping up to the woodmaster 718 planer moulder I would have gone with the Clear vue cyclone atop a can for collection and shop vac. If you go to the CLearvue website I think you may find some reasonable solutions in the forum and users section. There are many examples of adapting the system to a shop vac with cyclone seperator in one system. You could with some garage engineering design a system where the cyclone is either below the shop vac or by the side in a corner and plum the collection system. Just keep in mind greater distance and each degree of a bend will decrease the CFM and drastic changes in diameter will drop your airflow. Dedicated collection for the planer and table saw with below and above is the only way to truly caputure the microns of dust that you can't see.

I would like to use the Clear vue system strictly but my wife bought this one as a suprise and it has turned out to work ok but I'm sure it is not collecting all the smaller unseen particles. The bottom line is how often do use it, what is the collection demand are you filling up a trashcan daily? weekly? monthly? Also I have found that the shop vacs will collect but like previous messages they clog the filter quickly and therby negate any filtering quailities and drop the suction. I would plum the shop with 2 1/2 tubing clear if possible, a few blast gates and position the collection between the TS and planer to maximize collection, and above all get a seperator to keep the filter clear. Keep in mind the you can get a Grizz, Shop fox or Penn state 1.5 hp 110 for under 350 shipped, and maybe cheaper on somewhere likes Craigslist. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by klefkow View Post
                              I have looked into this extensively. The 2 best options are the Harbor Freight 2 HP dust collector or the Delta 50-760 1.5 HP collector. The total foot print is not too large. They both will produce enough HP for a small hobby shop and most important of all will catch the super fine particles that the smaller units have no chance of catching. Of course there is much more information about this subject than meets the eye. My Delta 50-760 is being shipped right now from toolking.com. This unit has won many awards and will run on 110v.
                              Delta is first rate, their motors are actually pulling what they advertise unlike many of the others and I would stay clear of HF for something as important as DC. Everyone should take the time to view the Clearview website and the links for information. We may be collecting large dust at the machine port but there is ample loads of microns put back into the air or not collected at all. If you own a TS it is worth it to build an above table guard with collection like the TS shark and use somesort of seperator to keep the filter clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X