Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Pressure-treated pine?

I've been searching, but couldn't find any specific references to this:

Are there any specific issues to be concerned about with cutting pressure-treated pine on a nice saw like the 3660?

I need to build a gate and would like to try something a bit better than what I could achieve with a circular saw. I won't use a Forrest WWII, instead likely using the Ridgid blade that came with the saw. I know the new-formulation PT isn't as soggy as the old stuff, and I'll use DC to help avoid breathing the dust, but I wasn't sure if there were other considerations?

Re: Cutting Pressure-treated pine?

Originally posted by MarkSJohnson View Post
    I've been searching, but couldn't find any specific references to this:

Are there any specific issues to be concerned about with cutting pressure-treated pine on a nice saw like the 3660?

I need to build a gate and would like to try something a bit better than what I could achieve with a circular saw. I won't use a Forrest WWII, instead likely using the Ridgid blade that came with the saw. I know the new-formulation PT isn't as soggy as the old stuff, and I'll use DC to help avoid breathing the dust, but I wasn't sure if there were other considerations?

Wood with high moisture content (around 20%) will wear down blades very fast and could also strain the motor. It will also rust your table top if you leave boards on it.

Comment

Hmmmm, I guess that means it's not a good idea for the planer or jointer either, huh?

Comment

Well, you could cut it with a hand axe, but if it was me, I would use my 3660! It's a tool you bought to cut wood with--not to sit around and look pretty. If you are concerned about the moisture, wipe it down when you are done and give it another coat of paste wax or whatever protector you are using. Same for the other tools.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkSJohnson View Post
          Hmmmm, I guess that means it's not a good idea for the planer or jointer either, huh?
          Depends on how much you are going to run through there. A couple of boards probably would not hurt. I wouldn't do a large project that way though. It doesn't take much material high in moisture content to do a number on your blades in a jointer or planer.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, guys... I really do appreciate it!

Some of the PT has been sitting in the (pretty dry) basement for 2~5 years, so it should definitely be drier than something just purchased!

Of course, that's also why I would want to plane/joint them as they're not perfectly flat anymore either!

Comment

You may want to consider wearing a dust mask when cutting this stuff. If I recall correctly some treated lumber is treated with CCA (Chromium copper Arsenic); it keeps those nasty little critters away.

tgomez

Comment

Working...
              X