X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock miter bit

I tried locating a 45 degree lock miter bit locally to no avail. I tried home depot, lowes, and sears. What other stores sell woodworking tools? If I can't find one locally, I will have to purchase one online. Can someone give me recommendations on sites I can buy from? I looked at the grizzly site and MLCS. The MLCS appears to be a lot cheaper. Do they sell quality products?

Re: Lock miter bit

You know I have a lot of router bits, ( Amana, Porter Cable, Viper, The Rockler brands ). However I have mostly have the MLCS brand bits, and I've found that there just as good as all the rest, and as you stated they are a bit cheaper.

I know that statement is probably going to cause some conflict with some of our fellow woodworkers because those bit are made in China or Taiwan or something like that...

I have found that with some TLC, your bits will last forever. Also there Lock Miter bit is a fantastic tool, I suggest if you purchase that bit , you really should purchase there set up block for that bit, it will save you lot of time on your set-up.

Remember practice make perfect, and that gos double with any lock miter, or any bit or brand you buy at that...

sirwoodchuck

Comment

If a manufacturer states a router can cut 1/2 to 3/4 in stock, is this actual or nominal sizes? I need to cut wood that is 1" nominal (3/4" actual).

Comment

Ok, that bit, MLCS item # 7849 would be the bit that your looking for. When they say 1/2" to 3/4" stock, there telling you that, that's the thickness of stock the bit will cut properly. However there are some examples of the other way, but we're not in Europe, or talking about plywood.

If you would feel more comfortable you could go with the larger size and adjust your set up.

I highly suggest that set up block, it would help you greatly...

sirwoodchuck

Lock Miter Bits

ITEM #7850 Shown

Lock Miter Instructions (PDF)

2 flute, carbide tipped. To join materials at 90˚ by cutting a 45˚ miter and a perfect matching tongue & groove glue joint. This joint not only increases mechanical strength, but also increases glue surface area and automatically aligns parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bluefitness View Post
          I tried locating a 45 degree lock miter bit locally to no avail. I tried home depot, lowes, and sears. What other stores sell woodworking tools? If I can't find one locally, I will have to purchase one online. Can someone give me recommendations on sites I can buy from? I looked at the grizzly site and MLCS. The MLCS appears to be a lot cheaper. Do they sell quality products?
          Holbren has Whiteside, which are made in the USA.

Comment

mlcs has excellent help on their support line and could answer your questions. I have talked to them about problems before and they were very helpful.

Comment

I recently purchased an MLCS stacked rail and stile bit and a set up block for it. I followed the instructions and cut some test stock to form a door frame.

It came out perfectly flush on front and back when the test door was assembled.

In my opinion, their catalogs are very easy to decipher and select the proper bit for your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by bluefitness View Post

In addition to the lock miter bit , I also have several panel bits, straight bits, round over, etc, all from MLCS. I have been extremely happy with the bits and like one of our fellow woodworkers stated; with some TLC they could easily last a life time. I might add that I order my bits using the internet and have always received them within three business days. Great service.

Comment

That lock miter bit scares the be-jeepers out of me. I won't be using it again until I get some sort of sleds configured for the table and the vertical fence. My first trial resulted in a bit of kickback and minor injury. I was stupid not using a sled but smart in that I was proceding very slowly. Live and learn.
                  Later,
                  Chiz

Comment

Many of the router bits in my shop are MLCS and I have no complaints with them. Quite a few get consistent use, three or more times a week making picture frame moldings, and I've never had a problem.

As others have said, the setup block for the lock miter bit is a good investment. MLCS also has free shipping, with no minimum order, which can't be beat. I've always had my orders within a few days.

Comment

Working...
                    X