Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My garage workshop is now Ridgid Orange!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My garage workshop is now Ridgid Orange!

First, I want to say hello to all my old friends, as this is my first post back on this forum in a few years. Some of you may remember me as one of the "founding fathers" of the threads concerning the TS3650 arbor defect. To their credit, Ridgid got that fixed rather expeditiously.

I wanted to share some of my recent Ridgid purchases with you and how they came to be. In a separate post, I will give my impressions (surprisingly positive) about my new BS14002 bandsaw. I recently sold my 30+ year old Shopsmith Mark V with jointer and bandsaw attachments. I had not used it in years, but it was in mint condition. I had told myself that I was going to buy some more WW tools, but not until I sold the Shopsmith.

Well, I sold the Shopsmith through Craig's List and got my asking price of $1,200. The man who bought it loves it, and we are corresponding regularly. Now I had some money and decided to wait until the Woodworking Shows came to Houston, which it did a few weeks ago.

Before the WW Shows, I owned the following Ridgid equipment:

> TS3650 Table Saw
    > Planer (2 Blade)
    > 18 volt jigsaw
    > 18 volt drill
    > 2.25 HP Router Combo Set
    > Spindle/Belt Sanders

Other equipment includes the Festool CT22 Dust Collector, Shopsmith Dust Collector, Festool Domino Jointer (GREAT Tool!), Bosch finish sander and impact driver, Porter Cable compressor nail guns, Porter Cable 2.25 HP Router Combo Set, Kreg router table with JessEm RoutRLift, Kreg clamping table and pocket hole kit and other stuff. I still lacked some other major tools that I wanted.... but not any more!

I visited the Ridgid / Home Depot booth at the Woodworking Shows. I was interested in 4 Ridgid Tools, though I knew I could not get them all:

> BS14002 Bandsaw
    > DP1550 Drill Press
    > JP 0610 Jointer
    > MS1290LZA 12" sliding compound miter saw

Well, the Home Depot Manager asked what all I WAS interested in, sold I told her. She asked me to give her a few minutes and she would work up some special pricing for me. When she was done, I could only say "Wow!" First, the $550 miter saw was already on sale for $399. Then, the HD manager took off about $50 - $75 more off of EVERY piece I got. On top of that, I am getting a 10% mail in rebate from Ridgid. The bottom line is that the regular price of these items at HD was about $1,800, including tax. What did I end up paying? Well, I did want to stay within my budget of $1,200, which was the cash I was carrying from the Shopsmith sale. So imagine my delight when the bottom line, including rebates and sales tax, came in at $1,198.15!

I have always considered most of Ridgid's products to offer some of the best VALUE in their market, often competing with higher priced items. My TS3650 certainly passes the nickel test, and with the good Freud blade I have on it, it cuts 2" hard maple with relative ease. I had hoped to walk out of the convention with 2-3 major tools. Needless to say, I was very excited to leave with 4! My garage now looks like a HD tool section. I have assembled the bandsaw, but am just getting to the other 3 tools this weekend. I teach computer technology for a living, but I find woodworking to be very rewarding and relaxing.

Oh, by the way, I told one of the Ridgid reps at the show what all I now have in my garage in the way of orange tools. He told me to send him a photo after it was all assembled, and he would pass it along to his people. He also said he would send me one of the big "Ridgid" canvas banners that they use at the shows. So my garage has really turned orange. Now my wife just wants me to BUILD something!

Just had to share with all of you, and I hope to be back regularly on the forum.
    There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Re: My garage workshop is now Ridgid Orange!

hey, can we see some pictures too? sounds like a garage i want to be in.

Comment

Absolutely I'll post pictures! I just need to get everything assembled, build a miter station, throw up some cabinets, buy or build a workbench...jeez! Maybe I will just go take pictures of the Ridgid boxes!
      There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

Still waiting for the pics of those boxes, Steve - LOL!! Congrats on the new shop ( I envy you the banner). I was in the same boat. After raising the family and denying myself the dedicated tools (I still have my Shopsmith) I commandered a garage bay and insulted it. Bought a TS 3650, JP0610, DP1401, PC CMS, Delta TP200 and a HF dust collector. I'm still building skill sets and only a few projects.

At least send us some pics when you get the machines assembled and set up as you arrange them.

Later,
        Chiz
        Later,
        Chiz

Comment

Grizzly's shop planner

Will do, Chiz. I planned the whole thing out using Grizzly's shop planner. That is a great tool, by the way, for anyone who has never used it. Like a CAD program, this free online tool allows you to draw your workspace dimension lines (mine is a 19' x 25' garage), then drag anything you can imagine into the shop. Every tool you can imagine, door and window openings, counters, workbenches...they are all there. You can rename them, resize them, rotate and drag them. Then you can save the whole thing online. Of course, when you print out your plans, Grizzly will give you a shopping list of all of their tools that you chose!

Tonight, I set up the 12" SCMS. What a great tool! Perfect on the bevel and miter angles, right out of the box. The 60 tooth Ridgid blade looks decent, so I will work with it before I decide if it needs replacing. In the next couple of days, I will give this forum what it really needs: another BS14002 bandsaw review! And I plan to assemble the drill press and the 6" jointer over the next few days as well. I just hate the fact that my real job keeps getting in the way of all this fun. Oh well... more soon.

Steve

Comment

You will enjoy the 6" jointer. I just picked one up and it is great. Very easy to build unlike the 4511 table saw (not too bad) and accurate. Post some picks when you get a chance. I haven't heard to much positive on the bandsaw. I hope you can give us some good feed back. I need one someday.

Red
            Red

Comment

Originally posted by cactus View Post
              I haven't heard to much positive on the bandsaw. I hope you can give us some good feed back. I need one someday.
              The Ridgid bandsaw can be good to exceptional, if you're willing to put some extra money and effort into tuning it, replacing the tires, getting a quality blade (these two things are likely necessary on every mid-tier BS). But you would also be well served by adding a good fence, new guides, a link belt, and stabilizing the stand.

All told, I think I put about $225 into all of the above (the fence alone is about $100; riser kit ~ $60) and can resaw 12" logs now with very nice results. I haven't resawn anything less than 1/4" so I can't speak to that. But for 1/4" resawing it does very well.

So, the real question is: Can you get a comparable saw for $600? Yes, you can. But most will still require some more work (blade, riser, tires)... so, perhaps it's a wash either way.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, Cactus and Wood Junkie. I believe I am going to be very pleased with the bandsaw. I KNOW I will like the jointer! Yes, I have put some money into the bandsaw, and I had planned to do it before I bought it. As Wood Junkie said, some of these upgrades you might perform with many bandsaws on the market. I also had to consider that this bandsaw only cost me $270 NEW, with the Woodworking Show discount and the 10% rebate from Ridgid through May 15. That left me some dollars to spend on upgrades. Here is what I did:

1. Installed a Power Link Belt in place of the stock "V" belt ($22.00)
                2. Replaced the metal guides with Cool Blocks ($14.00)
                3. Replaced the stock blade with a Timber Wolf 1/4" 6 TPI blade ($27.00)

Total replacements = $63.00

I never even tried out the OEM components. I just knew I wanted to change these things out. I then carefully assembled the saw and adjusted everything VERY carefully. Blocks, blade tension, thrust bearing, belt tension, pulley alignment and wheel alignment were all checked quite carefully, as any of these can lead to increased noise and/or vibration. Obviously, the Cool Blocks, the new blade and the link belt were all chosen for the same reasons. Once everything was checked and double checked, I turned on the saw. While it does vibrate (all bandsaws do to a greater or lesser extent), it did pass the nickel test! I cannot start the saw with a nickel on the table, but I can set a nickel down on edge after the saw has been on for a couple of seconds. Sometimes it stands up quite awhile and sometimes it may fall after about 30 seconds, but it basically stands.

There is still a bit more vibration than I would like, and I have noticed that the lower wheel is not in perfect alignment. There is noticeable runout when it spins. The blade seems to remain quite true, but this has to affect blade flutter. I can get a new wheel from the online parts depot, but that will cost about $50+. I will see if my manager friend at HD will help me out here. I have not measured the axle runout, but it seems negligible when I view it and feel it spinning. I think a wheel with less runout may remove the bit of extra vibration that I feel I am getting; remember, SOME vibration will always be there, and I can tell you that my little Ridgid's vibration was in a league with a 17" Jet that I tested at Woodcraft the other day.

I also checked the wheel BALANCE on both the top and bottom wheels. Both were a little out of balance. A $5.00 investment in some self-stick lead weight strips from the auto parts store fixed that. Both wheels are in perfect balance now, with just about a half inch or so of the lead strip added to each. This was very negligible weight added, but you want your wheels to be as balanced as possible. Now, there is no "heavy spot" when I spin them by hand. I preferred to add small weights to the "light side" rather than drill out part of the wheel frame from the "heavy side", as others have suggested.

The saw's motor mounts on 4 rubber grommets, each about 3/8" thick, on top of the metal stand. Some have suggested mounting the motor on its own piece of MDF, or even covering the top of the stand with 1/2" to 3/4" MDF. I am not convinced that the grommets, though rather makeshift-looking, don't do an effective job at reducing vibration caused by the motor. In fact, I think it is a cheap solution that offers good results. I also want to be careful that I do not raise the saw much higher, which 3/4" plywood would do. The saw is already elevated a few inches, due to the Rockler locking casters that I added. These cost $40.00, but that is a wash for most bandsaws as you have to add mobility on most if you want it.

I may still add a piece of MDF on top of the table, and add another piece bolted on to the bottoms of the legs. Both of these would add rigidity, weight and assist with noise dampening. If I do that, I will remove the locking casters and replace them with Rockler's low profile universal mobile base. This would be perfect, as I can use the Rockler 3" locking casters on the jointer, which has always been a little bit low for my liking (I'm 6' tall).

In terms of upgrades, I added the Kreg bandsaw fence, which is REALLY nice. I have many of Kreg's products, and this is no exception. Properly set up and calibrated, it is dead on accurate. I already have the Kreg router table, the Klamp Table, Master Pocket Hole Jig and Precision Miter Gauge System that I use with the table saw and router table. I plan to add the Precision Track and Stop Kit for my new Ridgid SCMS. Some comparably priced saws, like Grizzly G0555 ($470, delivered), come with a fence. They way I look at it is that I put about $180-$200 into my Ridgid bandsaw. Combined with what I paid for the saw, I have about $470 in the whole thing. I have a GREAT fence, good blocks, a really smooth belt and a superior blade. I would probably replace the blade and the belt on the Grizzly as well.

BUT WHAT ABOUT PERFORMANCE?

We can't just balance nickels all the time, now can we? I played on the saw for about an hour, cutting small (1 foot long) pieces of cedar, southern pine, red oak, 3/4" birch plywood and 2" hard maple. I found the saw to cuts VERY smooth in this limited testing. When I ran a 1.5 foot long piece of 2" hard maple through, and took off 1/8" using just the Kreg fence, there was virtually NO DRIFT.

Of course, I will have to do a lot more cutting with the BS14002 bandsaw, but initial results are quite favorable. After I have been able to cut some curves, run some longer lengths and do some resawing, I will get back to you all and report. For right now, I'd say this is a well made saw at $370. You will need to set it up right, and just plan to make some of the mods that I have discussed here. I think you will be happy with this saw. Perhaps it is not going to handle major resaw jobs, but I did not get it with the intention of using a riser kit. Still, Wood Junkie seems happy resawing 12" stock, so who knows. For the $270 that I paid for the saw, plus upgrades, I am very happy. And when you buy a 14" imported bandsaw (and they are all pretty similar) it is a nice feeling to have a lifetime Ridgid warranty. That warranty counts for something in my book.

Steve

Comment

Hey Sawdust Steve, where do you live, so I can come and visit ya, while your gone......

Just messin' wit cha.......
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Just due South from you, Garager......by about 1,000 miles!

It's funny that you talk about visiting while someone is gone. I was putting out the trash tonight, including 2 of the big Ridgid boxes, thinking, "I hope the trash guys come early tomorrow, so this stuff doesn't sit out by the curb all day tomorrow!" Then my wife tells me there was a break in at the house across the street from us earlier today. The cops are pretty sure that it's teenagers, as they have done this before. I figured I'm safer with 200 pound shop tools than a bunch of jewelry lying around. Maybe my next project needs to be a giant mouse trap!

Comment

Working...
                    X