Crosscut sled...2 runners or one???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crosscut sled...2 runners or one???

Will be making a crosscut sled soon (for the TS3650) and was wondering if there is a benefit to using 2 runners vs. one? 2 runners appear to be more accurate. I plan to use the Incra runner(s). Are there any runners that are better?

Also, would 1/2" Baltic birch be thick enough for a sled?

Thanks.

Re: Crosscut sled...2 runners or one???

½" would be alright to use, that's what I chose to use. One advantage is that you increase your cutting height capacity by ¼" over using ¾" stock.

I also went with only one runner when I built my last sled. If you plan on crosscutting long pieces most of the time then a two runner sled might be a better choice. The one runner design offers less support but for crosscutting fairly short pieces it works out well for me. As long as the runner(s) fits properly into the miter gauge slots, one design shouldn't be more accurate than the other.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

It comes down to how big of a sled you are building. I’m going to build one about 16” x 24” and plan on just one runner. If your going to use it for pieces in the 3’ and longer range, maybe two will be better for you.

Red
      Red

Comment

I decided to go the big ol' honkin' big Super Sled route. I like the size and the log term potential uses of it.

In case anyones curious, you can look at it on the inventors site.

http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com/...iter-Sled.aspx

oh yeah. 2 runners.

Dell

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          ½" would be alright to use, that's what I chose to use. One advantage is that you increase your cutting height capacity by ¼" over using ¾" stock.
          1/2" is usually pretty flexible, though... I'd be concerned it wouldn't lie as flat.

I use 3/4" for my jigs... but it does mean I have to raise the blade an extra 1/4"

--Jeff

Comment

I also am using 3/4" material.

Red
            Red

Comment

Well , I used the miter slider thing from Incra, ? I forget the exact name now? costs about 25 bucks.
              I used 3/4 MDF ,about 2'x2', and I only used one slide.

(finding a place to put it will be the problem)

Comment

I use a 3/4 inch base for my big sled which uses one runner. With a left tilt motor the sled rides on the left side. The advantage of this is that regardless of the blade thickness the blade rides against the side of the sled. My sled design comes from a Wood magazine and has an adjustable right side that can be moved over for dado blades and still gives a zero clearance.
                A smaller sled uses both runners for cross cutting small pieces and doing 45 degree cuts. It's design came from ShopNotes.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasL1959 View Post
                  Well , I used the miter slider thing from Incra, ? I forget the exact name now? costs about 25 bucks.
                  I used 3/4 MDF ,about 2'x2', and I only used one slide.

(finding a place to put it will be the problem)
                  If you're not going to keep it on your saw at all times, don't just lay it against a wall. It will end up bowing on you, DAMHIKT. The solution I found that's working for me was to drill a hole in the sled and hand it on the wall using a dowel.
                  ================================================== ====
                  ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I'd love to build a sled, but when I use it all the time, my wife will wonder why I just bought the Incra 1000se....

Comment

Finding a place to put it "was" a problem, at first!
                      but us "inventers of cool stuff / woodworkers"
                      need to be creative sometimes.
                      in this photo you cant see it.

untill I turned it so you could see it. there it is hanging on the end of my
                      router cabinet.

I primarily built it for cutting panels for cabinet doors-shaker style panels-
                      and anything that I wanted perfectly square that was too big for my
                      miter saw.

here it is upside down

some people call these a shooter board, It isnt pretty,it isnt fancy! I built it to be DEAD ON ACCURATE! (it is)
                      when I need one for cutting angled cuts I'll build one doing that.

but for the cost of an Incra miter slider and a few bolts washers and nuts - the 3/4 mdf was some fall off
                      from another project. it was well worth my time.

cheers
                      Last edited by ThomasL1959; 05-09-2009, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasL1959 View Post
                        but for the cost of an Incra miter slider and a few bolts washers and nuts - the 3/4 mdf was some fall off
                        from another project. it was well worth my time.

cheers
                        Please explain how using one of these sliders allows you to get all the wiggle out with the allen screws and allow for smooth movement.
                        I also notice you get alot of play at the begining, (which is ok because it's before the blade) and at the end of a cut (which can ruin it). There are only two adjustments on mine( I see three on yours) and there a couple inches in from each end.
                        I've had no luck yet. I'm considering making a bigger two slide version to minimize this.
                        Last edited by rjm78; 05-15-2009, 07:54 PM. Reason: Longer slider than mine. No jokes please...lol

Comment

Making a two slide sled will also help with tearout and the "catch" and "drop" problem. I noticed I was getting a decent amount of tearout as the piece was about to fall the 3/4" to the table. since I was on the home stretch and cutting to actual project size, I was less than pleased.

I hope it works.

Comment

Originally posted by rjm78 View Post
                            Please explain how using one of these sliders allows you to get all the wiggle out with the allen screws and allow for smooth movement.
                            I also notice you get alot of play at the beginning, (which is ok because it's before the blade) and at the end of a cut (which can ruin it). There are only two adjustments on mine( I see three on yours) and there a couple inches in from each end.
                            I've had no luck yet. I'm considering making a bigger two slide version to minimize this.
                            I don't know which brand miter slide you may have, mine is from
                            INCRA. here's a link http://incra.com/
                            It may be that you have an 18" version ? mine is the 2' model.
                            they have some really awesome equipment , they also have a "FREE"
                            DVD that you can ask for. (they have stuff on it I just drooled over).

I bought mine at a place called The sumner woodworkers center.
                            not far from Tacoma Washington, its kinda like walking into a rockler
                            catalog - only better. the bonus is its about 3 miles from my house.

Also this site may give you some good ideas for building your own sled ?
                            Ive built several in the past useing oak for the runner(s) ive never been
                            satisfied with the results with the oak for the runner.
                            this is why I went to the metal sliders.
                            as for the "wiggle" you can adjust these down to get "So little" that
                            mine moves maybe 1/64 "or less!" as I cant measure much less than that.
                            by the way,!! these runners cost between $20 to $25 even when marked
                            up for retail.

cheers

Comment

I suppose bigger is better for the reason of more adjustments. I think I'll have to do the 2 runner version cause I already own the 18" and it's too late to return them.
                              Do you find you have the tear out problem I was describing?

Comment

Working...
                              X