X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edge banding

I'm trying to build a shelf with oak plywood and banded with 3/4" oak boards. I'm not having much luck with getting the board flush with the plywood. I tried building a jig and using my router with flush trim bit but the boards splintered. I may have left too much overhang, probably 1/16 to 1/8 inch on both sides.
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks

Re: edge banding

How wide are the oak boards? Do you have a router table? I used a 3-flute flush trim bit, 1/2 dia. and 1/2 shank, 2" cutting length in my router table with good results. Must have a fairly high fence and use a featherboard to keep it snug to the fence. My best results have been when I glue one side as close to flush with the plywood as I can, then hit it quick with my orbital sander to flush it up. Then all cutting will be done on one side. Cuts the error possiblities in half. Also on router table you can use a sacrificial piece to limit tear out as you finish your cut. Also all glue must be wiped off-bearing will bump out and mess up the cut. I am no expert but this method has worked well for me. Good luck!

Comment

Re: edge banding

Originally posted by toecat View Post
      I'm trying to build a shelf with oak plywood and banded with 3/4" oak boards. I'm not having much luck with getting the board flush with the plywood. I tried building a jig and using my router with flush trim bit but the boards splintered. I may have left too much overhang, probably 1/16 to 1/8 inch on both sides.
      Any other suggestions?
      Thanks
      Check out this link about David Marks technique ->

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_she...276758,00.html

Here's a closeup of the fence he uses to trim his edge banding (figure k from link above) ->
      (the piece to the right is a feather board to keep things tight to the fence...)

You could cut the rabbit in the bottom of a fence to suit the size of your edge banding... (as deep and high as needed...)

Keep the fence tall and 90° to the table for accuracy...

HTH
      Last edited by jbergstrom; 04-20-2009, 02:14 AM.
      Cheers! - Jim
      -------------
      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
      X