X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1301 planer taper

Got a problem with more of a taper than snipe on the leading edge. It's not like snipe cutting the 1st couple of inches, this goes gradually for around 6 inches. The infeed table is is level. I've tried raising and lowering it and the problem really doesn't change. Also used rubber renew on the infeed roller. I've put a lot boards though this planer before the problem started and I'm wondering if the infeed roller or the tension springs have had it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Greg

Just had a thought, is it possible that the lock is out of adjustment? I really don't see away to adjust it.
    Last edited by spindle; 04-21-2009, 10:01 PM.

Re: 1301 planer taper

Anybody?? Is the answer extremely obvious or extremely unusually?

Thanks,
    Greg

Comment

My guess is you are planning a long board and your in feed table is not long enough to support it.

Comment

I'd agree with that logic. Sounds like the weight of the unsupported board is pushing up against the cutter head at an angle until more of the board finally goes into the machine. You didn't mention whether you had sufficient supports to carry the board wood weight. I've had that happen when I get lazy and try to handle the wood instead of getting a support roller.

Comment

Sorry I didn't give more detail. The board is only 24" long. Just this evening I replaced the springs and the infeed roller. The springs were both compressed around 1/8" from the new ones. Only had time to make a few passes on a test board, but so far so good. Tomorrow I'll have more time to really check things out.

Thanks,
          Greg

Comment

Yep, new springs and roller fixed the problem. 47.00 with shipping. I probably could have got by with springs alone, just hate to do things halfway. It's a really easy job to replace them. Like I said the board was only 24" long and was fully supported by the tables, but had something like a 6" tapper on the in-feed side. I figure the in-feed roller didn't hold the board down and the blades were pulling it up until the out-feed roller came into play. In the future I'll store the planer with the lock off.

Hopes this helps someone going forward.
            Greg

Comment

Working...
            X