Sawstop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sawstop

I noticed this on another forum and thought it might be of interest to most of you.

“SawStop the makers of a device that instantaneously stops a table saw blade when it contacts human skin has filed a petition (CP 03-2) with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to mandate that all table saws with blades 12" or under be outfitted with the technology.”

SawStop's web site: http://www.sawstop.com
    CPSC Petition page: http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foi...tion/peti.html

Any thoughts?

Woodslayer

[ 07-14-2003, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: woodslayer ]

As far as I know they still haven't delivered a saw. They are also trying to get the government to mandate their technology for all new saws...kinda like they did with seat belt usage.

I'm not against anything that anyone could want, but I detest anything forced on the masses, especially since the company has had troubles from the outset.

Their first foray into the field was to try and sell the idea to other manufacturers. Since the cost was high, they failed (especially since every tool maker has tried to slash costs by sending their plants to other countries).

Then they tried their own manufacturing company, but it seems the interest was not great enough and they have been rumoured to be refunding deposits.

For those who want the saw to be careful for them, it's a great idea...for me I'll just pay attention.
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Have to agree with Kelly. It should not be forced upon us. I can see it being mandated that all manufactures "Have To" offer the product as an option. Any modifications causing expense to saws for those wishing the product installed should also be shared by the SawStop company IMO.

For them to have it mandated, and leave full financial responsibility upon the saw manufactures is just wrong.

It would seam they have a great product, but the public has voiced it's expense is not worth what the product does.

As Kelly said, I'll just pay close attention to what I'm doing.
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Are you guys saying people should take responsibility for their actions? What a concept. I doubt if the left wingers will ever let that happen though. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I would suggest that companys that patent safety related products, like Sawstop, put themselves in a liability situation when people have accidents.

Say I cut a finger off. I might just decide to sue Sawstop for not provide this feature at a reasonable price to the market.

I don't remember the facts but I think the seat belt or air bag was late to the consumer market because it was patented and not used until after the patent expired.

Chad

Comment

M.A.D. worked to make us use seat belts, and others worked to make us use Helmuts, now they want to make us use this gimmick! When someone dies because of a seatbelt,helmut,or gets a finger shortened - I think the organizations and the states supporting the laws should be liable by assumming the liability through legislation. They support it, it didn't work, they pay!! Rick

Comment

I'm all for mandating safety devices, if the mandate would do any good. Unlike automobiles, which have an expected average life span---read replacement---table saws tend to go on forever.

The problem with the Saw Stop, is that it can't be retrofitted (at least at reasonable price) to existing saws. This is the same problem as many sheet metal tools-----tools like press brakes, sheers, etc., which tend to last forever. Safety devices have been developed so that existing tools can be retrofitted. If the only safety device for these machines, had to be developed only with new machines----well our great, great grandchildren would not see more than a small percentage of these new safety devices.

For these reasons, I think Saw Stop will have a hard time selling a mandate to a reglitory agency.
              Dave

Comment

Working...
              X