X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

I posted this in the power tool section, but have not heard back from anybody. I figured since most referneces to TS are in this section, I better re-ask my question--

I recently purchased a TS2410LS and I love the saw. Most importantly I love the fence. I bought it mainly because at the time I got a great deal on it and it was the best TS for the money.
    Well today I was visiting with the store manager at my local HD and he was telling me that since I just purchased it, he could work it out that I can return it and get the r4511 granite top model as an even exchange with the ultimate power deal this weekend.

Here I am with a good TS but a portable one none the less. I really like this saw but the r4511 could be one that I am using 20 years from now.
    I have read reviews of the saw and I like it ALOT!! I have the room for it and that granite top sure does look pretty!

My question(s) for the group are about the top and the fence. The floor model fence looks like junk. When you slide it, it is loose as can be and does not appear to be accurate. I did not measure anything in store as I have learned from previous purchases that floor models are not the best thing to judge off of. Will my boxed version be any better or is this just a flaw in this saw? My TS2410LS fence moves perfectly on the front and rear rail in unison. That is what drew me to that saw, should the r4511 be the same?

The second question is on the granite top. For those who have had it a while, do you regret purchasing a granite top? Does it chip or crack easily? Does it have much maintenance-finishing/waxing? Does the miter guage seem like it could break the granite top if accidentaly hit the wrong way?

I need to let him know by Thursday morning, so any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Re: What would you do?

Same Price? Well the Hybrid is a really nice saw. If you don't like the fence then by buying a new one you'll be at the regular price, or close to it I presume so then you're still getting the most bang for you buck. If you have the room for the R4511 I would go with that.

Now for my question. Do you have any details of what the UPD is actually going to be? The last two years it was buy this much get this much off. Did the manager happen to say anything about the discount amounts?

Comment

you might want to check out this thread:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21249

it is an extensive thread which contains many first hand observations of several 4511 owners. their opinions obviously have value. also, check out this observation:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24939

like you, when i saw a floor model of the 4511, i was somewhat disappointed in the fence. i also noticed that the corners and edges of the 4511 i saw were chipped and dinged up. and the 4511 weighs just under 500lbs.! i just scored a 3650 aty my local HD for, after everything, $90. handling it, at just under 300 lbs. can be a chore. at 500 lbs., you are getting into the area of rigging to transport the 4511 when not using the herc-u-lift.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Because you're considering this deal I take it that mobility isn't really an issue here. If that is the case then you will be much happier with the 4511 in the long run I think. Don't get wrong, I have nothing against the 2410 as it does what its designed to do very well but the 4511 just offers more.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I've heard several people compare the R4511 fence favorably with the Biesse fence system. One poster said he added a couple faces to the fence, and it works great. The addition of hardwood or UHMW plastic fence faces to both sides of the fence would seem to be a good, yet simple, upgrade to the fence.

The R4511 will allow you to very easily add a riving knife to replace the splitter. Several people here feel riving knives are far superior to the standard splitter designs like is found on the TS2410 and the 3650/3660. This is an important point for a TS. Having a safety device like the splitter or riving knife is critical. The riving knife design means you don't have to completely remove the safety device for non-through cuts. This means it'll be used more.

The R4511 has cabinet-mounted trunions. Current opinion is that this design yields a more dependable, more stable, and more consistent blade positioning system than the table-mounted trunion found on contractor saws. It is also this trunion mount system that makes the R4511 a hybrid.

The purpose of the granite top is to eliminate rust. Since granite is a natural formation of stone, it cannot oxidize like iron does. There is also a school of thought that says granite has greater dimensional temperature-related stability than iron. I don't see any movement in my cast iron top on the 3650 over time, but my saw lives in my basement, which is a fairly consistent temperature environment. Granite is, however, much more brittle than cast iron. It can be repaired if needed, but it's an important factor. Cold temperatures will make the top even more susceptible to chipping.

The decision is, obviously, yours to make. Personally, given that option to trade in the TS2410 and get the R4511 I wouldn't hesitate a second! The R4511 is a world of difference in accuracy and consistency that you won't find on a contractor saw. The R4511 is NOT a saw you take from site to site though. Once you put that big saw in place, it stays where it is! It'll stay there and work perfectly for probably 20 years, but it's never going to be the saw that goes to a job site.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Inquiring minds want to know, what was your choice?

I thought the 3660 for 399 was a bargain.......if my local HD would have offered me the 4511 for the same price as the 2410 Id be all over it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              Because you're considering this deal I take it that mobility isn't really an issue here. If that is the case then you will be much happier with the 4511 in the long run I think. Don't get wrong, I have nothing against the 2410 as it does what its designed to do very well but the 4511 just offers more.
              Exactly.

If you need to take it to a jobsite, there is no comparison on which is better suited.

If you can leave it in a shop, there is no comparison on which is better suited.

Comment

I just took back my TS2410 and upgraded to the R4511. It currently is sitting on the back of my truck since I need to round up a few guys to unload it. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, I will have it assembled and be making sawdust

I now need to ask the question-Where is a "good" place to buy UHMW to make a face for the fence? I have checked online, but no place really gives you a definate price. Is there a site that will tell you what it costs $$ with $$ shipping so I know if plastic is even a possibility or if I need to build one out of wood?

Thank you for all of your help in making this decision. While I can think of a few times that the portability of the 2410 would come in handy, that is why I have a circular saw and straight edge. Now I feel like I have a saw that can handle sheet goods without fear of tipping over.

Has anyone used the Herc-U-Lift system? The one on the floor model at the HD was broken and would not move. I am curious now since I do have a 500 lb saw, can I move it around my shop by myself? Or even with the herc-u-lift will I need an extra pair of hands?

Comment

peach tree http://www.ptreeusa.com/uhmwproducts.htm
                  Rockler and Woodcraft both carry it.
                  I have the 3650 and it moves with no problem on the her. lift.

Comment

Originally posted by harrison2119 View Post
                    peach tree http://www.ptreeusa.com/uhmwproducts.htm
                    Rockler and Woodcraft both carry it.
                    I have the 3650 and it moves with no problem on the her. lift.
                    Lee Valley carries it as well:
                    http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43576,43581

--Jeff

Comment

In my crowded shop, moving my TS around is a must. And even with my old and bad back I move the 4511 without help. It is such an improvement over the 2400 series that I cannot still believe it!

Big G

Comment

Well I tried (to return my 3660 and buy the 4511)!!

"Store policy" is no returns on clearance items. Even though the big returns policy sign doesnt say it, nor does my receipt that says my return policy expires on 5/6/2009.

Didnt feel like pressing the issue. Wonder if I can get them to do it if I make a big enough stink. Or maybe it just wasnt meant to be.

Interesting though, as I was pulling into the parking lot I was behind the "Swift" delivery truck that was carrying the 4511s to the store.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
                          Well I tried (to return my 3660 and buy the 4511)!!

"Store policy" is no returns on clearance items. Even though the big returns policy sign doesnt say it, nor does my receipt that says my return policy expires on 5/6/2009.

Didnt feel like pressing the issue. Wonder if I can get them to do it if I make a big enough stink. Or maybe it just wasnt meant to be.

Interesting though, as I was pulling into the parking lot I was behind the "Swift" delivery truck that was carrying the 4511s to the store.
                          You could probably sell it on craigslist VERY fast. Especially if it's still LSA eligible.

Comment

I was thinking about that, but prefer not to have CL-ers at my house, much less in my shop with all my tools.

Since I cant easily move the 3660, it kinda precludes me meeting them somewhere with the saw.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
                              I was thinking about that, but prefer not to have CL-ers at my house, much less in my shop with all my tools.

Since I cant easily move the 3660, it kinda precludes me meeting them somewhere with the saw.
                              Sounds like you just need to be happy with the awesome deal you got on the 3660 then

Comment

Working...
                              X